Profile question

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Fleeto1981
Model of CNC Machine: Sparten

Profile question

Post by Fleeto1981 »

Hi everyone,

I hope this is in the right section (apologies if it isnt)

Ive got to profile out a wave effect into some board which ive drawn up and is fine but there is one aspect of it I cant seem to do...

Ive attached a photo although its hard to see exactly what I mean but hopefully it will make sense,
spiral.jpg
The spiral effect that is on the board..... as it goes into the wave it starts to go down deeper as it moves round and its almost the entire depth by the time it gets to the bottom.

Is there any way of replicating that on V Carve Pro?
Thickness is 30mm and it starts to make a smooth slope from the first bend and keeps going to he bottom on every wave.

Any ideas?

Cheers

£100 cash for anyone who cracks it :D

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 11.554

Re: Profile question

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

To me, that spiral looks like any pocket or profile cut. I don't see a spiraled change in depth in your attached photo; not that it couldn't be done.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

I suspect the image is of something that the original poster wants to replicate not an image of the result of toolpathing. (looks like some concrete or concrete-like object).

Fleeto: I can see this being done with the fluting toolpath. Where each whorl is a separate open vector that describes the path of the centre of the cutter. I’m not near the software to make an example though.

One could use the same technique to make the scroll on the head of a violin.

tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Post by tomgardiner »

You might be able to get this with the fluting path. For this you will have to make vectors offset from the final outline by half the tool diameter. You will have to make your vectors be pretty close in length to one another. There will be some tweaking of the length of the vectors and depths of cut to avoid small height discrepancies leaving lines in the bottom of the waves.
Fluting cuts on centre of the vector. Ensure your vectors all start at the top of the ramp with node editor. A very quality preview will be your friend in tweaking depths. I would use a flat bottom router bit for this as opposed to a ball nose. Good luck

Fleeto1981

Post by Fleeto1981 »

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it.

You’re giving me hope it can be done that is good news.

Unfortunately I’ve not got a clue however how to do the above 😂

I’ve got DXF drawings of the item in the picture it’s just the spiral depth cut I couldn’t do.

If I was to send the DXF file do you think one of you could do this for me?

I’d obviously pay for your time as per my first post.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Cheers

RalphPitz
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus

Post by RalphPitz »

Are you looking for a spiral to look something like this? A simple pocket cut followed by a fluting toolpath as ADZE_CNC outlined.
Waves.jpg

Fleeto1981

Post by Fleeto1981 »

It’s like that yes. I’ve already drawn the dxf with an even profile but I need it to start ramping down in as it spirals.

Imagine a a kids spiral slide in your garden. That’s the effect I’m struggling with.

I’ve drawn everything else just can’t get it to start cutting at a continuous slope around the spiral after the first corner