two sided cutting holes for T-Nuts

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
wolfeman
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Xcarve

two sided cutting holes for T-Nuts

Post by wolfeman »

I know this has to be on here somewhere but can not find. wrong wording in search I guess. Could not find in advanced search either. Here goes. I am cutting a new waste board, started 3 inches to the right and 3 inches up from my homing position which is Front Left. this left about 4 inches from last hole on right to edge of board. These holes are for the T-nuts which means I need to make a shallow cut on bottom of board for the spiked area of the T-nuts. (2 sided Job). If I flip the board from left to right or right to left. NOT top to bottom, will the V-Carve pro know to make the 1st cut over 4 inches and not 3 since the board has now been turned over and the 4 inches of material is on the left side. Thanks. Sorry that I know this is a repeat from someone else.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: two sided cutting holes for T-Nuts

Post by martin54 »

As long as the file is set out correctly, you flip in the same direction as you have selected in the job set up & you align the board accurately once you have flipped it then yes there won't be any problems :lol: :lol: :lol:

wolfeman
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Xcarve

Post by wolfeman »

thank you.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

Not sure why it is a 2-sided job. The bottom side pocket for the flat spike part, another pocket for the shaft of the t-nut, and a through hole for the bolts coming through from the top side. What will be cut on the top side?

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 11.554

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

As 4DThinker says, this isn't a two-sided job. Its a good example of standing back and looking clearly at what needs to be done. Then you'll notice that the labels "top" and "bottom" are only relative suggestions! :lol:

Those "T-nuts" need a 3/4"+ counterbore with a 5/16" through hole. Whatever side you put the counterbore on will become the "bottom."

TIP: Test cut the counterbore for depth. When you "hammer" those tnuts in, they may tend to sit a bit proud without a deep enough counterbore. You sure don't want that if you're building a waste board. The offset problem to that depth is that the deeper the tnut sits, the closer it is to the "top". For a wasteboard, that will limit the number of times you can surface your top.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

I'll also add that when I used t-nuts for making handles for my wood clamps I use a 1/16" (might have been a 1/32") bit and the fluting toolpath to make slots for the spikes on the t-nut. That was to make sure the spikes didn't split the wood I was using. A little epoxy under the t-nut when inserted made sure they (so far) haven't come out.
4D

RickW3DS
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: LongMill 30x30

Post by RickW3DS »

I gave up on those and just use dowel alighnment pins and hot glue