File Size

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
harpone
Model of CNC Machine: nextwave sd100

File Size

Post by harpone »

My daughter asked me to make a trivet with a celtic symbol she liked. I was amazed when I saw that the simple one I pulled off the internet would take more than 32 hours to cut! What should I be looking for that results in a short cutting time. Picture attached.
Attachments
IMG_1705.jpeg

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Re: File Size

Post by ohiolyons »

If it isn't copy protected it would help if you posted the file.

Look at each toolpath and see what bits they were using, maybe they only had smaller bits.

Larger bits will cuit faster.

Maybe their speeds x, y and z may not be set properly.

Maybe you have a better machine that can stand faster speeds.

Trivets aren't usually that big, 32 hours seems excessive.

Maybe they are doing a 3d cut when most trivets can be cut as 2 or 2.5 d dramatically speeding things up.

There just isn't enough info in you post to do anything but guess.

WOW just one vcarve toolpath 32 hours is defiantly wrong.

Is your Rapid Rate and Scale factor set properly?
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

It would be nice to see the parameters for the VCarve 1 toolpath and the tool parameters. With any modern version of Windows you can use the Windows Snipping Tool instead of mobile phone.

For example (click the red circled button to get tool parameters):

vcarve.png

There is a lot of solid blue for your toolpaths so that suggests very small stepovers and pass depths. And perhaps a mismatch of measurement systems (e.g. the file imported is in centimetres and the VCarve file is in inches so, a 10cm trivet becomes 10 inches).

harpone

Post by harpone »

This is the file.
Attachments
Iknot1.jpeg

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

The original picture image is not very useful. What John was looking for was the .crv file. With that we can check your feeds and speeds for the tool, the size of the vectors, etc. Which could also be seen by posting a screenshot as asked above.

I can easily reproduce your 32+ hours. I took the image, converted it to vectors, scaled the vectors to 4 inches, and applied some ridiculously small pass depth and stepover values (2/1000 and 3/1000 of an inch) for the tool. See attached images. I put the scale factor for time at 2 which is what the default for VCarve is. If I used the scale factor of 1 that I always keep it at I’d have had to make the pass depth and stepover even smaller.

slow.png

tooling.jpg

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

The flat depth is set to 0.001" so it will only carve 1/1000" of an inch deep. I doubt that is what the original poster wants.

Turn off the flat depth and I believe you will get a significantly different toolpath and machine time.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

1. the first image I posted was merely an example to the Original Poster (op) of where the parameters for cut and tool can be found so that an explanatory screenshot could be made. It was not meant to provide any sort of solution. The 0.001 flat depth was leftover from a previous experiment.
  2. the whole point of the second set of images is that a 32+ hour can be replicated but by using unsatisfactory numbers
  3. without further context of the original problem from the op no progress can be made in providing an answer

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

As Adze_CNC (Steven) has said --- without more details from the OP it will be nothing but a guessing game as to the Op's Problem Issue.

I have created the project using the V-Carve Toolpath (F Depth of .25") and a Profile Toolpath (Cutout Trivet) with a combined time of just under 15 minutes Carving time. Not Sure if my end result is what the OP is looking to achieve but at least the Carving time is Reasonable!
Celtic Trivet.png
Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

harpone

Post by harpone »

celticknot.crv
(716 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
This is the .crv file which resulted in such a long cutting time.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

You don't have any toolpaths in that file. It's the way you set the toolpaths/tool definitions up which will be causing the long cut times so it's that information that is needed to be able to tell you exactly where you are going wrong.

As has been said most likely the pass depth and/or stepover settings are probably far too small. From your original picture the 2D preview lines are far too close for a job like that which would be caused by one or both of those settings.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

As Adrian has said you really need to upload the complete file that is causing you the long carving times.
As things stand we really don't know exactly what you are trying to accomplish & what toolpaths & tools you are using.
Are you trying to cut the shape as sharkcutups image shows or are you simply trying to carve the shape into a rectangular block :lol: :lol:

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by ohiolyons »

Just opened the file and did a trace, it is an incredibly bad image, jagged edges and little holes everywhere.

This roughness is not helping in the speed department.

I got radically different trace results depending on the settings.
One was as you expect and the other was unuseable.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

ohiolyons wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:19 pm
Just opened the file and did a trace, it is an incredibly bad image, jagged edges and little holes everywhere.
It traced beautifully for me at the default Black / White settings. Yes you can create an awful set of vectors by using extreme settings but that's the case with any image.

I don't think that's the issue as the OP's picture doesn't show the huge number of rapid moves that a poor trace would typically show.

When I do a clean trace, create a v-carve toolpath of the image and compare it to the OP's the number of rapid moves is pretty much the same. The big difference is the density of the blue toolpath traces which leads me and others to believe that it's tool settings that is the issue.

harpone

Post by harpone »

The file I used is too large to download.in this forum. Obviously I erred in the image I selected and some of the settings I used in VCarve Desktop. I am going to go online to find the same celtic knot from a different source. Is there a way to tell whether the image I pick will not have a huge cutting time? FWIW I cut the same celtic knot over a year ago BUT I deleted it thinking I would never use it again. I know that file took less than an hour to cut.

Thanks to all for your advice.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

if the file is to large then upload it to something like dropbox or google drive & share the link.

Finding another image of the same thing will make no difference whatsoever, you will still create the same set of vectors to be carved.

If you are having problems uploading the file then the next best option would be screenshots showing the toolpaths & tool settings that you are using :lol: :lol: