Newbie question - joinng nodes

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
jeremy Nako
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity Woodworker

Newbie question - joinng nodes

Post by jeremy Nako »

I'm trying to replicate a guitar fret board

I've created a rectangle and 'split it' into a number of 'frets' by creating vertical lines.

I'm now trying to join this into a single entity but no matter what I try I cant get this 'join' together.

I'm either doing this wrong way, or I'm doing something very silly.

Can someone please point out the error of my ways ?

Thank you.
Fret Vectors.jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Newbie question - joinng nodes

Post by Adrian »

You can't join an open vector to a closed vector which is what you have there. The outer rectangle is a closed vector and the frets are open vectors.

A lot depends on how you're planning to toolpath the job as you don't need it to be a single vector (entity) for a profile toolpath set to be On the vector for example.

If you want it all to be one group (entity) for the purposes of making it easier to move around then you can group the vectors together with the group command (press G or right click and choose) but that's not the same thing as joining the vectors.

jeremy Nako

Post by jeremy Nako »

Ah ok.. that would explain the overlap warnings on the Vector Validator and why I cant join them - thank you.

How *should* I have designed this to be efficient ? Do I need to create 10 rectangles ?

I very much appreciate the full explanation BTW - it's the only way to learn.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

If you were to cut the fretboard by hand would you cut it using rectangles? Or would you cut it along marked lines with a fret saw? The same would apply here. You've created marked fret-lines that your cutter can follow. That would seem to be most efficient.

jeremy Nako

Post by jeremy Nako »

I know that I'm new to vector design, but I'm obviously missing a part of the puzzle !

I've successfully created - or edited - around 15 designs, and this one, which *should* be the simplest, has me stumped.

"You've created marked fret-lines that your cutter can follow."

You'd think so, but when I try to create tool paths I get an 'Ignoring unsuitable open vectors' message and the path is nothing like I'm expecting - it's ignoring the frets.

I'd like to create V-carve toolpaths, but TBH anything would do !

martindg
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity X-50 Woodworker

Post by martindg »

Use a Profile Toolpath set to cut "On" the line. You can use a Vbit to make this cut if you want. When I make a fretboard I use a .023 end mill to cut the fret slots using the Profile toolpath. If your fretboard is contoured you can use the Project Onto 3D model to make your fret slot

Doug

jeremy Nako

Post by jeremy Nako »

Thanks Doug

"Use a Profile Toolpath set to cut "On" the line. "

That explains a great deal regarding the error message about open vectors.. I'm starting to understand this better, so thank you.

Iron Creek
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity WW X35

Post by Iron Creek »

Here's a great video on creating a fretboard from scratch.

There's a great link in there as well: https://www.ekips.org/tools/guitar/fretfind2d/

Iron Creek
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity WW X35

Post by Iron Creek »

Since this is about guitars, I'm hoping it's a good place to get this question answered. I'm a relative newbie to CNC, but am learning rapidly. I bought a VCarve file from Etsy to cut a Telecaster body. The only glitch is that the wiring channels that are supposed to be drilled out horizontally after the carve are programmed as part of the carve. I.E. the finished guitar would have a open channel where the wire runs from the controls cavity to the rear pickup. I've tried cutting nodes from the corners and all sorts of other desperation moves but I can't eliminate the channel.

cavity1024_1.jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Probably the simplest way is to go into node edit mode and hover the mouse over the straight sections and press D to delete the span. You can then use the join with a smooth curve tool (icon on drawing tab or right click and choose from the join menu) to reform the curved sections.

To do it by cutting in node edit you would hove over the node where the curve meets the straight and press C to cut there. When you exit node edit you can remove all the unwanted vectors by selecting and deleting. You would then use the join tools as with the previous method.