Tool Path to engrave lines

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
macguitar
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ HHC

Tool Path to engrave lines

Post by macguitar »

I am attempting to do an engraving tool path for the attached. I am using a spring loaded diamond drag knife.. I cant seem to find the proper tool path to engrave the single point to point accent lines. Any help is greatly appreciated

Dennis
Attachments
logo test2.crv
(1.27 MiB) Downloaded 24 times

macguitar

Re: Tool Path to engrave lines

Post by macguitar »

I actually resolved using the profile toolpath. Seems my real issue was viewing the simulation on screen. There is no good way to simulate the diamond drag bit. I changed the tool to a mini engraving bit with a .001 depth of cut and that allowed me to see the cut pattern in the simulation. Done and done

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by ohiolyons »

Have you tried changing the toolpath color?
This would help fainter lines (not as deep) show up against the material setup, appearance color/texture.

Certain material setup, appearance color/textures may not help show your engravings either.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

macguitar wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:51 pm
I actually resolved using the profile toolpath. Seems my real issue was viewing the simulation on screen. There is no good way to simulate the diamond drag bit. I changed the tool to a mini engraving bit with a .001 depth of cut and that allowed me to see the cut pattern in the simulation. Done and done
Your file previewed ok for me with a drag tool and the Quick Engrave toolpath once I changed it to Outline. You had it set to Fill which won't work with vectors like that.

You can always see where the toolpath has been generated by making the toolpath visible (checkbox next to it in the list) and looking in the 2D view.

litzluth
Vectric Craftsman

Post by litzluth »

Just wondering (since I've never used a diamond drag bit), does the engraving toolpath (for the diamond bit) insert a command in the G code to keep the spindle turned off as the toolpath is run? If not, wouldn't one want to insert that command manually before running the toolpath?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

With some setups it's handled by setting the RPM to 0 in the drag bit tool definition. Depends on how the control software is configured.

litzluth
Vectric Craftsman

Post by litzluth »

Thanks Adrian. I have a Laguna IQ with a HHC, and I have to manually set the rotation speed, so I'll either have to turn off the spindle, or set the RPM to zero. Haven't ever tried either, I'll check with Laguna and see what they recommend.

litzluth
Vectric Craftsman

Post by litzluth »

I checked with Laguna, and they have a post processor for the IQ HHC that doesn't turn the spindle on, which is what they recommend for the spring loaded engraving toolpath.
I've attached it, with their permission.
Attachments
Laguna_HHC_Dragknife.pp
(4.24 KiB) Downloaded 16 times

macguitar

Post by macguitar »

litzluth wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:29 pm
Just wondering (since I've never used a diamond drag bit), does the engraving toolpath (for the diamond bit) insert a command in the G code to keep the spindle turned off as the toolpath is run? If not, wouldn't one want to insert that command manually before running the toolpath?
I have to turn my spindle off ( Set speed to 0) manually I have laguna IQ HHC

macguitar

Post by macguitar »

macguitar wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:51 pm

I actually don't have this resolved.. Although I can select the single point to point lines while I'm in profile setup. I can not select the the dragknife tool, it doesn't even show up in the tool library when in profile setup. it only shows in the Quick engraving setup. An I can not select open point to point lines within the engraving setup all lines must be closed loop.. I guess the question is can I do the setup as a profile using a v-bit but put the spring loaded drag knife in with no spindle rotation..

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

macguitar wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:37 pm
I actually don't have this resolved.. Although I can select the single point to point lines while I'm in profile setup. I can not select the the dragknife tool, it doesn't even show up in the tool library when in profile setup. it only shows in the Quick engraving setup. An I can not select open point to point lines within the engraving setup all lines must be closed loop.. I guess the question is can I do the setup as a profile using a v-bit but put the spring loaded drag knife in with no spindle rotation..
See my reply a couple of posts ago. You need to select outline not fill in the Quick Engrave toolpath.

Drag tools are only supported in the Quick Engrave toolpath as that is the only toolpath with the correct settings for that type of tool.

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

Have you entered it into the tool database already?

If so and it is not showing up do you have the proper material type selected?
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

ohiolyons wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:34 pm

Drag tools are not selectable in a profile toolpath which is what the OP is attempting. With the Quick Engrave it is.

macguitar

Post by macguitar »

ohiolyons wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:34 pm

Yes I have created the Diamond Drag tool in the database. It just cannot be selected in the profile toolpath window. Seems it can only be selected from within the engraving toolpath window. From within the engraving toolpath single point to point polylines cannot be selected. I can engrave the text and the closed profile line but cannot seem to be able to engrave the highlight accent lines. That is my dilemma..

Thanks

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

engrave.jpg