Changing material thickness and full depth profile tool paths.

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Spiff542
Model of CNC Machine: Inventibles 1000 mm X Carve

Changing material thickness and full depth profile tool paths.

Post by Spiff542 »

I did a quick search but I did not find the answer I was looking for.
Is there a way to link the material thickness to the cut depth for full depth profile cutouts with tabs? Meaning that I can link the material thickness to the depth of my cut out profile tool paths. Right now every time I change my material thickness to match reality, I have to go through and reset the depth of cut in every profile toolpath that I use for cutouts. Seems that there is probably is an easier way, I just don't know it. 😅

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Re: Changing material thickness and full depth profile tool paths.

Post by Phil »

You may be able to solve your dilemna by setting the "Z Zero position" to the machine bed in the Job Setup at the beginning of creating a new file.
Phil

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Nope, unfortunately not at the present time but that may be a feature request that you might consider sending to vectric support so that they may take the feature requested into consideration for a future release.

Or do as Phil has noted ---- Interesting suggestion there Phil I did not think of that one because I have never used that option.feature. I always use Top of Material Surface for Z-Zero.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

When you set the Cut Depth in the toolpath use the letter T or Z rather than a fixed number. You can then change the material thickness whenever you like and press the Recalculate All button on the toolpath tab to have the toolpaths use the new thickness.

Be sure not to press = after entering the variable as you would elsewhere in the software. Just the letter T or Z with any calculations you may like which is useful for start depth settings such as T-4 for example.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Adrian wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:56 pm
When you set the Cut Depth in the toolpath use the letter T or Z rather than a fixed number. You can then change the material thickness whenever you like and press the Recalculate All button on the toolpath tab to have the toolpaths use the new thickness.

Be sure not to press = after entering the variable as you would elsewhere in the software. Just the letter T or Z with any calculations you may like which is useful for start depth settings such as T-4 for example.

WOW!!! Awesome Adrian!!! I Learn something NEW just about every time I read one of your posts --- You ROCK!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Set the depth of cut to "Z". Z is an internal variable equal to the material thickness. Don't use an = sign. The Z will calculate on its own.

Oops. I see Adrain already responded when I was typing.
Steve