Proud Text on 3D object

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
J Paul M
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity Woodworker

Proud Text on 3D object

Post by J Paul M »

Imported a 3D model into VCarve Pro 11.405. I understand VCarve has limited abilities to edit 3D. Is it possible to add text the stands proud, raised. The portion needed for the raised text gets is flat and gets carved out with the 3d Image. Do I need to be able to edit the image at a level above VCarves ability? Should I add a zero plane for the text?

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Proud Text on 3D object

Post by adze_cnc »

I believe I have a method for doing this. I’ll check in and see how others approach this. My initial thoughts are that it will require two CRV files. One to cut the text and one to 3D rough and finish. Both will need to import the 3D model just at different thickness. The 2D text will use “project toolpath to 3D on a profile tooplath.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

One way I describe here - viewtopic.php?p=235552#p235552 - with an example file.

That was before levels etc were added to the 3D side of things so I don't know if there is a better way of doing it now.

gregk
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Post by gregk »

If you have VCarve in V10.5 or higher, you can take advantage of the level clipping feature to add the text to your imported model. To do that create a new level with combine mode set to add, and add one of the rectangular tabs from clipart tab. Position and resize the tab so that it covers the are where you want the text to be added. Then create some text using "Create text" tool and having it selected enable clipping effect on the level that contains the rectangular tab. You should get something similar to this:
Text.png
Hope that this helps,

Greg K.