Help a Complete Newbie - Please

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
FrankS123
Model of CNC Machine: Naxt Wave Shark HD520

Help a Complete Newbie - Please

Post by FrankS123 »

I am brand new to using VCarve Pro and the CNC world. I am watching videos and beginning to learn the basics but the learning curve is steep for me. I want to a small jewelry box for my granddaughter's first holy communion in early May. I would like to use my Shark to carve a 3D Cross into the lid of the box. I purchased a STL file of a cross and imported it into VCarve Pro (crv attached) but I don't have any idea how to develop the necessary vectors, and I cannot find a version of a suitable cross that includes vectors. I am will to purchase a file for this purpose if necessary but cannot find a source. Any help would be very much appreciated - thank you!
Attachments
Cross.crv
(2.44 MiB) Downloaded 44 times

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: Help a Complete Newbie - Please

Post by gkas »

This will be a 3D project. Watch some of the training videos. A good start will be the 3D Assembly and the 3D Toolpaths.

https://www.vectric.com/support/tutoria ... d-assembly

P.S. Be sure to start with some scrap or cheap wood... you'll make plenty of mistakes. Your project can be as complicated as you want it. You can be simple and elegant with carving the just cross, or ornate with embellishments. Everyone here will be happy to help you along. We all started in this spot.

FrankS123
Model of CNC Machine: Naxt Wave Shark HD520

Post by FrankS123 »

Thank you, gkas! Appreciate the quick reply and reference video links!

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Cross.png
Like This? File is too large to post here. If your interested in it I could post it to dropbox and a link to it from a post here.

Or you could create a pocket in the lid the shape of the cross to glue the cross into.

It is all in how you desire it to look!!!

Note: Just a word of Caution ---- Be careful posting items to the Forum. The Model could be Copyright Protected Material!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

When dealing wiith imported 3D files it’s best if you can extract the curves (vectors as VCarve calls them) from the source model. With STL files, though, it’s usually not an option.

One command you will want to get familar with is the create a boundary from component (e.g. an imported STL) circled in blue below:

cross boundary.png

From that you get a vector like this one (for this model):

cross vector.png

With that you can use the “selected vector” option on the 3D Finishing toolpath to limit the ball-end cutter to the area within the vector instead of doing the whole material surface. Using model boundary will create a “virtual” vector and stay within it. But, this vector can also be used to create a pocket outside the model to flatten the rest of the lid.

While I have downloaded the cross file for the purposes of creating these two images I have also deleted it.

Steven

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

The learning curve is steep for most people who have no experience of CNC or the software required for it's use so you are not alone :lol: :lol:

It depends what sort of look you are after & 3D carving is a little different to 2D so you may not need any vectors for your 3D machining, watch some of the tutorials that have been linked to which will give you a better understanding of how the toolpaths work & also how to create vectors if you do need them :lol: :lol:

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Maybe something like this? It is just a easy weekend project and I'd be happy to share it but it's in Aspire V11.5. The lid top and the cross are components so it really can't be saved as a .crv file without a lot of work. The perspective of the pictures is skewed a little but the box is symmetrical and the lid will fit in any direction.
Attachments
Hex jewlery box 1.png
Hex jewlery box 2.png
Hex jewlery box 3.png
Hex jewlery box 4.png
Hex jewlery box 5.png
Hex jewlery box lid with cross screen shot.png
Steve

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

SteveNelson46 wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:56 am
Maybe something like this? It is just a easy weekend project and I'd be happy to share it but it's in Aspire V11.5. The lid top and the cross are components so it really can't be saved as a .crv file without a lot of work. The perspective of the pictures is skewed a little but the box is symmetrical and the lid will fit in any direction.

Very Nice Steve!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004

Jimcad
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Alpha CNC 6090 with 4th Axis

Post by Jimcad »

Beautiful.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

very nice @SteveNelson46

Are those feet machined from the actual stock material? I never thought about actually machining feet on a project before :lol: :lol:

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

martin54 wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:03 pm
very nice @SteveNelson46

Are those feet machined from the actual stock material? I never thought about actually machining feet on a project before :lol: :lol:
Yes they are. Just a v-carve toolpath, excluding the circles for the feet, using a V-bit and a larger clearance bit. In this case, a 60 degree v-bit and a 1/4" up-cut. The knob is cherry also. I made it on my 4th axis rotary.
Attachments
Bottom setup.png
Steve