ElevationCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AVID PRO-Acorn , Shapeoko SO3 XXL & SO3s

Re: Drilling Randomly Spaced Dowel Pin Holes in an L shape on X and Y Axis

Post by ElevationCreations »

wannabecnc wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:45 am
Hi Guys,

Just a quick question, I have made a file to cut the holes at the required size, If I need to adjust the size either way, Is there a way in the finished file to adjust the circle diameter without starting again?

Thank you so kindly
Use the pocket allowance in the tool path to adjust tolerance for your holes. If your starting pocket is too small in diameter, add a negative allowance to increase the pocket diameter. I usually run a test sequence for my 20mm dogs with -.0004, -0006, -0008. -001 for starters to determine which is the best fit, then adjust from there until the dog goes into the waste board pocket snugly and can be removed without too much effort. Then apply this allowance to the tool path for all of the pockets.

If the pocket is too large, add a positive offset allowance to make the pocket smaller in diameter.

wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Home made CNC

Post by wannabecnc »

Hi Elevation Creations,

Thank you for your good information, it's much appreciated.
Just to clarify, If I go into the tool path area and go down to Machine Vectors, and then to the " Allowance offset " Do I say put -0004 in the offset box and that will add a small amount to the diameter of all of the holes in my L shape set-up of holes?
Is it possible to do the same thing in the " File Operations page " down the bottom where it says " Offset and Layout " I would click on " Outwards Right " select all of my holes, enter say the -001 in the box, then click the offset tab?

Thank you

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by ohiolyons »

It depends on the toolpath and whether you are inside or outside.

Best way to tell press the button in red and you will see the effect of a + or - offset.
aloowance.jpg
Blue are is the area that a 0.1 offset applied to the vector in question.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I wouldn't pocket 8mm holes but like a lot of things that is personal choice, I prefer to profile cut small holes cutting inside the line using a spiral ramp, in fact I don't pocket cut my 20mm dog holes, they are also cut using a profile toolpath cutting inside the line :lol: :lol:

Yes you can use the offset tool to change the hole size same as you can use the resize tool under transform objects as I have already mentioned :lol: :lol:
Generally speaking I will leave the original file as is with the correct size holes & use the offset allowance in the toolpath to make changes. That way your original file stays the same each time you use it :lol: :lol:

wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Home made CNC

Post by wannabecnc »

Hi Martin54 and OhioLyons,

Thank you for your valued comments.
Success, the dowel holes are done and the dowels fit snug but not too snug.

Kind regards