Default material colour and docking the layer window?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Roelli
Vectric Craftsman

Default material colour and docking the layer window?

Post by Roelli »

Hi.

I just bought the new V11.5 Version of vcarve. Good.
Now the questions...

Is there any way to fix the "layers" window below the main window?
I can only fix it to the right side of the normaler "drawing" window... but then the 2D Preview is much smaller.

2. Whenever I open Vcarve the material colour is automatically resetted to "canadian maple".
Is there a way to always have black material colour and silver infill colour? (as that's the only thing I ever need)

Thanks! :-)
Attachments
default.jpg
Vcarve PRO rocks!
...and now it rocks even more: http://paulrowntree.weebly.com/gadgets.html

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Default material colour and docking the layer window?

Post by Adrian »

1. You can left click on the header part of the layer tab and, while holding the button down, drag the tab to wherever you want it. It can be floating or docked to the left or right side.

2, Material colours will default to the last used so if you setup a job the way you want it then the next time you start the software those selections will be the default.

The best way to make sure everything is the way you want it is to use job templates and start your job using the appropriate template rather than from new.

Roelli
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Roelli »

Adrian wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:58 pm
1. You can left click on the header part of the layer tab and, while holding the button down, drag the tab to wherever you want it. It can be floating or docked to the left or right side.
Too bad. In V7 there was a dropdown menu and I only needed to hover over this menu and then select the layer. So just ONE click.
Now it's two clicks.
I can have the layer window beeing seperated and below the standard window - but then, when moving the Vcarve Software in fullscreen from one monitor to another, the layer frame will stay at the same place. :cry:
Adrian wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:58 pm
2, Material colours will default to the last used so if you setup a job the way you want it then the next time you start the software those selections will be the default.

The best way to make sure everything is the way you want it is to use job templates and start your job using the appropriate template rather than from new.
For whatever reason my VCarve 11.5 Version does not save these settings.
But iam happy that now the 'save height' is beeing saved, which was not the case in V7 (where it was always set to 6mm).
However... I now made a "template" file where I selected the right colours so I can use this.
But... sadly I mostly just open any DXF files directy from the windows folder, so it will not use the template.

However... good that I can now select and change multiple objects and beeing able to change the size of all objects at the same time. Big improvement.

Is there any "wishlist" for new features where I can ask for a specific feature?
Iam missing a feature that selects "same objects". For example if there are hundreds of different objects and you click on ONE rectangular object... then click on "select same objects" and all objects with the exact same size and shape are selected.
I know the vector selector, but that's not the same.

Thanks!
Vcarve PRO rocks!
...and now it rocks even more: http://paulrowntree.weebly.com/gadgets.html

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Roelli wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:22 pm
Too bad. In V7 there was a dropdown menu and I only needed to hover over this menu and then select the layer. So just ONE click.
Now it's two clicks.
I can have the layer window beeing seperated and below the standard window - but then, when moving the Vcarve Software in fullscreen from one monitor to another, the layer frame will stay at the same place. :cry:

For whatever reason my VCarve 11.5 Version does not save these settings.
But iam happy that now the 'save height' is beeing saved, which was not the case in V7 (where it was always set to 6mm).
However... I now made a "template" file where I selected the right colours so I can use this.
But... sadly I mostly just open any DXF files directy from the windows folder, so it will not use the template.

However... good that I can now select and change multiple objects and beeing able to change the size of all objects at the same time. Big improvement.

Is there any "wishlist" for new features where I can ask for a specific feature?
Iam missing a feature that selects "same objects". For example if there are hundreds of different objects and you click on ONE rectangular object... then click on "select same objects" and all objects with the exact same size and shape are selected.
I know the vector selector, but that's not the same.

Thanks!
Sounds like you don't have the layer tab docked properly. It will fully float if not docked which is why it's not moving when you move the main screen. Move it to the other tabs and it will dock with them.

The dropdown layer "menu" is still there. It's on the top toolbar to the right of the "2D View/3D View" tabs.

You can start a new job with a template and then click the Import Vectors button to import your DXF file into that job.

Generally the way to handle the feature you want is to use layers. All the objects that are the same should be on the same layer and then you can select that way very easily.

VCarve will maintain DXF layer names if you aren't creating the vectors directly in VCarve.

Feature requests are best sent to support@vectric.com