Stuck After Importing Vectors

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
harpone
Model of CNC Machine: nextwave sd100

Stuck After Importing Vectors

Post by harpone »

I seem to be stuck after importing vectors. The imported image loaded into the lower left corner of the workplace. I want to center and enlarge it.
Attachments
IMG_1701.jpeg

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Re: Stuck After Importing Vectors

Post by ohiolyons »

Select it, hit the center button, then enlarge it manually (by dragging a handle) or with the enlarge button.

These are basic steps and you need to invest some time in following the tutorials.

There is a learning curve with this software and the tutorials will help soften the blow.

There are youtube videos for absolute beginners and all the Vectric tutorials are excellent.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I'd recommend looking at Mark Lindsay's Vectric for Absolute Beginners
It is free and very well done.

He also has CNC for the Absolute Beginner which focuses on the machining side such as what to do in order to run a job, machine setup, what bits to use, setting zero for X, Y, and Z, etc.

Remember that every one of us started at the beginning where this was all new. It can seem a bit daunting at first, but it is well worth the journey.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

harpone

Post by harpone »

I have read many of Mark Lindsy's series, some more than once, and I do find it necessary to refresh my memory. Since receiving your replies I again watched two of the series and have been able to center the drawing. After watching Mark's explanation I still can't figure out how to enlarge. He explained enlarging rectangles which didn't help me.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

harpone wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:22 pm
I have read many of Mark Lindsy's series, some more than once, and I do find it necessary to refresh my memory. Since receiving your replies I again watched two of the series and have been able to center the drawing. After watching Mark's explanation I still can't figure out how to enlarge. He explained enlarging rectangles which didn't help me.
It doesn't matter what shape it is the process is the same for enlarging any vectors :lol: :lol:
Either drag on the handle in the bottom right corner (with the vectors selected) or use the resize tool & enter either a length or a height, making sure the link XY box is checked if you want to resize proportionately :lol: :lol:

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Here is one way of resizing your design. (there are other ways)
1. Select all the vectors of the design that you want to resize. if it is just a single vector you can click on one of the lines with your mouse. If it is everything in the design you can press <ctrl-A> and it will select all vectors. The vectors turn purple/pink when they are selected.

2. On the drawing tab (usually on the left) under Transform Objects there is the icon to Set selected objects size. Click it with your mouse.
resize01.JPG
3. A dialog box opens. You can enter your desired width or height and it will automatically calculate the other value to scale your design proportionally. If you don't want to scale proportionally you can uncheck the Link XY checkbox.
resize02.JPG
4. Click Apply to see your changes

5. When you are satisfied click Close and the dialog box goes away.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

harpone

Post by harpone »

I finally figured out how to resize and move the image. Thanks.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Interesting. You’ve used the term “image” twice. Be careful images and vectors are two separate things.

Images to the program are bitmap (a matrix of dots) pictures like JPG, PNG, BMP files. Whereas vectors are, generally, mathematically defined paths from point to point that can be found in files such as AI, PDF, EPS, DWG, DXF.

If this really was a picture file that you will be using VCarve to trace into vectors you might want to not resize it but do the trace at imported size. If you double the dimensions of an image bitmap file you’ll go from having 1x1 dots to 2x2 dots. That increased jagginess makes it difficult for the trace bitmap function to extract a clean vector.