Best way to set depth of cut

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Songweaver1
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha FX

Best way to set depth of cut

Post by Songweaver1 »

I don't seem to get the depth of cut I'm wanting. I'm doing 3d flags and other intricate cuts, but I'm not figuring out the best depth for the project. Some are much deeper than others. Is that because the model has a depth setting to begin with ? I use the modeling tab and the "Material setup" to set height and depth but It doesn't seem to be what I set .... for the most part. Am I putting too little or too much shape height and base height?
The previews look good but aren't the same after the cut...(The file I wanted to send was too big)...BUT i DID SEND THIS ONE...
Attachments
WE THE PEOPLE.png

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Re: BEST WAY TO SET DEPTH OF CUT

Post by dealguy11 »

The features of the model were more or less set in depth with respect to the rest of the model when the model was created. Any change to the size of the component changes the depths of the features in proportion to the rest of the model. To specifically address the things you mentioned:

1. Material Setup sets the thickness of the material but does not really affect the depth of cut for the model itself. The model will be cut somewhere in the material block depending on where you set it in the block on the Model Position in Material setting. I suppose if you put the model at the bottom of the material block then the cutter is cutting deeper, but the actual features of the model don't change in depth (i.e., the stars don't get deeper relative to the rest of the flag).

2. Adding base height is like putting a booster block under the model, sort of like the model is sitting on top of a piece of material the thickness of the base height. It changes the overall height of the model but doesn't change the depth of the features.

3. Adding to Shape Height will make the depth of the features deeper while also making the overall model thicker.

4. Changing the overall size of the model will change the thickness of the model as well. So if you change the dimensions of a 2x2 model to 4x4, then it will get thicker and the features will get deeper in proportion to the change in size.

There are tools in Aspire that can help make the features of the model more pronounced (e.g., "Reduce the height of a component whilst retaining surface detail"), but I'm not sure if they're available in Vcarve.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: BEST WAY TO SET DEPTH OF CUT

Post by martin54 »

What dealguy11 said (far better than I could) :lol: :lol:

Yes when the model was created the designer would have given it a physical size in depth as well as length & height :lol: :lol

Not a great deal you can do to alter the features of an imported model in vcarve, reducing the shape height will make the overall model thinner which will alter the features a bit but they will all stay in proportion & you will lose surface detail. Every model is different & reducing the shape height may not always be a good option. I don't think vcarve has the embossing tool which can be used to reduce shape height & help retain surface detail :lol::

For your particular project adding base height isn't really going to be much help, with a model like that it is probably easier to set the models position within the material block where you want it to be if the finished project needs to be a particular thickness,

If the preview looks good & the project isn't carving as you expect it to then it is likely you have a problem with the machine or how you are setting the project up. There are a number of different reasons this might be happening, z zero setting, axis calibration would be the first place I would look, pictures of how it has carved might help :lol: :lol:

Songweaver1
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha FX

Re: Best way to set depth of cut

Post by Songweaver1 »

Additionally, I would like to make deeper cuts in general. So... what would be the best approach in regard to "settings". I understand that the model is probably "set" at a certain cut depth overall, but I was more or less referring to getting a bit deeper overall. how do I set a deeper cut in a model other than shape height and base height.... or is there a way to even do that?
I see vcarving has a depth of cut option.... but I don't see one in the rough or finish cut options...?

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Songweaver1 wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:08 am
Additionally, I would like to make deeper cuts in general. So... what would be the best approach in regard to "settings". I understand that the model is probably "set" at a certain cut depth overall, but I was more or less referring to getting a bit deeper overall. how do I set a deeper cut in a model other than shape height and base height.... or is there a way to even do that?
I see vcarving has a depth of cut option.... but I don't see one in the rough or finish cut options...?
If there is some vcarving added to the model then that part is made from vectors not a part of the actual 3D model which is why you have some options that are not available in the 3D roughing & finishing toolpaths.
The easiest way to make the entire project thicker without altering the surface finish or the depth of each of the model features such as the stars is to use a thicker piece of stock material & then set the models position withing the material block at or close to the material surface. This can be done on the setup form on the toolpath side of the screen :lol: :lol:
You could add base height but in this case there is no real need to, you could increase the shape height, this will change the depth that each part of the model machines to (such as the stars) as well as the overall thickness of the model.
The best thing to do is play about with making changes & using the toolpath preview to see how things are changed :lol: :lol:

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

If you are using a 3D finishing toolpath you can’t "cut deeper” (make the details such as the stripes deeper) as the toolpath will always ride the bit on the model. The only way to “cut deeper” is to make the differences in Z between each surface larger. And that by scaling the z-height of the model (usually during import).