Slow toolpath calculation.

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
ken.gentry
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's CNC 4x4

Re: Slow toolpath calculation.

Post by ken.gentry »

That 4th generation Core i5 also does not have Hyperthreading. It's just 4 cores. All recent (8th generation and above) will have 4 - 8 cores and Hyperthreading, higher clock speeds, better IPC, better SSE instructions, etc. that will speed up everything. Also if you're running that i5 in a laptop you likely have a very slow hard drive.

When you get a newer system make sure to get SSD storage and at least 16 GB of RAM memory. Windows 10 and 11 will operate on 8 GB but will slow down once 75% of memory is used. Also try to shut down unneeded apps like browsers (or at least unused browser tabs) when working in VCarve to reduce memory usage.

Try to buy as much processor and RAM memory as you can afford. You can always add more storage.

jaru-eri
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Taig and router, Gecko G540, Mach3

Post by jaru-eri »

ken.gentry wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:51 pm
That 4th generation Core i5 also does not have Hyperthreading. It's just 4 cores. All recent (8th generation and above) will have 4 - 8 cores and Hyperthreading, higher clock speeds, better IPC, better SSE instructions, etc. that will speed up everything. Also if you're running that i5 in a laptop you likely have a very slow hard drive.

When you get a newer system make sure to get SSD storage and at least 16 GB of RAM memory. Windows 10 and 11 will operate on 8 GB but will slow down once 75% of memory is used. Also try to shut down unneeded apps like browsers (or at least unused browser tabs) when working in VCarve to reduce memory usage.

Try to buy as much processor and RAM memory as you can afford. You can always add more storage.
I have an SSD-HD in my pc and 32GB of RAM. I saw in Task Manager that the (gpu 0. 3D) was active only a short time and at most around 12% so I don´t think the graphic card can speed up the process.
Are you sure that I will get double speed if I change from a 4 core to an 8 core cpu?

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

jaru-eri wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:57 am
ken.gentry wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:51 pm

I have an SSD-HD in my pc and 32GB of RAM. I saw in Task Manager that the (gpu 0. 3D) was active only a short time and at most around 12% so I don´t think the graphic card can speed up the process.
Are you sure that I will get double speed if I change from a 4 core to an 8 core cpu?
No adding more cores doesn't mean that things will automatically get much faster, there are lots of factors to consider, not just hardware factors but software factors as well, there are settings that can be altered within windows & the graphics card driver software that will make a difference to performance, I am not an expert so don't know if there is a maximum number of cores that any software program on the machine can use but for that sort of info you would be better contacting Vectric directly :lol: :lol:

support@vectric.com

ken.gentry
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's CNC 4x4

Post by ken.gentry »

Agreed. There should be quite a speed bump but doubling core count will not double speed. It's not quite that simple because there's dozens of other background tasks running on a modern Windows or MacOS system. There's also no direct predictability of how VCarve will use the CPU.

Newer Intel and AMD processors also have higher clock speeds, more on-board cache, etc.

I'm just hoping that Vectric will find ways to optimize their 3D rendering pipelines to improve speed and reduce memory usage. Modern 3D games are much more intensive applications and manage to run very well with the same or less resources. Competing 3D CAD applications are also much better behaved in rendering than VCarve.

We'll see.