Magnetic Crocodile clips on touch probes

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Home made CNC

Magnetic Crocodile clips on touch probes

Post by wannabecnc »

Hi Guys,
I have something to ask and talk about. The Touch Probe that I have has a cheap crocodile clip attached to the wires. I tried to use it on a half-inch shaft of surfacing bit that I have. It worked the first time and then one of the jaws cracked and went loose.
Can I put a Rare Earth magnet on the croc clip and sit it against the shaft of whatever bit I use in the spindle?
The wire is still attached to the croc clip, therefore I thought if I were to sit a strong magnet to the clip, it would still do the same job as if the croc clip never broke.
Does anyone think the magnet will interfere with the probing process in any way? If there could be a problem looming if I use a magnet, and I haven't yet, presently it's just a thought, Does anyone know where I can buy a croc clip that would be big enough to attach to a half-inch shaft and smaller shafts?

Thank you
Kind regards

Onetrack
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

Re: Magnetic Crocodile clips on touch probes

Post by Onetrack »

I ditched the crock clip years ago in favour of a rare earth magnet.

https://e-magnetsuk.com/product/pot-mag ... aded-stud/

I also ensured the connection to the touch probe has plenty of mechanical support and the wire I use is super flexible (eg multimeter cable).
Attachments
Magnet with touch probe
Magnet with touch probe
The more I learn the more I forget.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

As has been said a magnet will work just as well, I am sure there was a recent Video by Mark Lindsay where he went for the magnet option because a clip would not fit properly on a 1/2-inch shank :lol:

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XL

Post by wb9tpg »

I've had a 1/4" x 1/4" rare earth magnet help by the crocodile clip for years. Works great.
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

I've had a Shopbot for 15 years, never used the grounding wire and I have never had a problem.

Phil

wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Home made CNC

Post by wannabecnc »

Hi Guys,

My apologies for not getting back to you sooner, but I have been pretty busy and only today have I had a chance to get on here.
Thank you for the replies about the magnet for the touch probe. I am going to go the magnet route,

Kind regards

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Phil wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:53 pm
I've had a Shopbot for 15 years, never used the grounding wire and I have never had a problem.

Phil
It depends on your set up Phil, if your machine is grounded well then you shouldn't need to use the grounding wire unless you have something else that prevents the circuit completing. I have read that spindles with ceramic bearings can cause issues :lol: :lol: