VCarve changing z-axis movement

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
devildoc87
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko Pro XXL

VCarve changing z-axis movement

Post by devildoc87 »

Ok, so the saga that is my current life in CNC is that I downloaded a file of Etys, not realizing it was a vectric aspire file, when I run VCarve Pro. Ever since then when I start the work the z-axis goes up to the top of gantry and studders a couple of times then does not get the positioning right.

I started by contacting Carbide 3d and the Amazing tech team video walked me through checking to make sure the system wasn't at fault. The z switch works fine, the start up works fine as long as I use carbide motion and create. But now when I go into use VCarve for anything the and send the work to the machine the z-axis seems to be backwards or it can't tell when to stop when it raises the z-axis when starting the job.

Any suggestions? Do I need to uninstall and re-install VCarve Pro? Not sure the licensing will allow that.

Appreciate the help.

~ Confused newbie.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: VCarve changing z-axis movement

Post by martin54 »

if the z axis is topping out when you run a program then start by checking the gap above material in the set up form on the toolpath side of the screen :lol: :lol:
setup.jpg

RickW3DS
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: LongMill 30x30

Post by RickW3DS »

As Martin said, check all of the settings in the file you downloaded. Double check the post processor before exporting the toolpath.
As a side note, Make a template that works with your machine. File>new from template>
Copy and paste the vectors into your blank template and make your toolpaths from there.

devildoc87
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko Pro XXL

Post by devildoc87 »

martin54 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:54 am
if the z axis is topping out when you run a program then start by checking the gap above material in the set up form on the toolpath side of the screen :lol: :lol:

setup.jpg
Martin, Thank you. it turned out to be that. The setting got changed without me realizing it. Thanks !