drilling a convex hole

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Custom carving
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: next wave shark 520

drilling a convex hole

Post by Custom carving »

is there a way to drill a convex hole for a marble to fit into nicely? I have a friend that wanted to know if I could build her this board game and Had no clue how to drill a hole for the marble to fit in
Attachments
aggravation board game.jpg
I try to learn something every day

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: drilling a convex hole

Post by adze_cnc »

A marble is convex. The hole you want is concave. If you have ball-end router bit that has a similar diameter to the marble you could use that either with a drilling toolpath or a pocket toolpath if the ball-end diameter is less than the marble diameter.

Questions about cutting holes for marbles to seat into come up quite often. Typing “marble hole” (without the quote marks) into the search box above should find something.

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 12.004

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

Custom carving wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:26 pm
is there a way to drill a convex hole for a marble to fit into nicely? ...
Around here we call that game "Wahoo". I've made several versions of it in different sizes, but one thing that is the same between all of them is the marble holes.

I started out with a 3/8" ball bit, but the other thing in common with all of them (including the old ones) is that the marbles are really easy to dislodge from their spot. (We even had players that would consistently and "accidentally" jostle the board to their advantage. :lol: )

I started making the marble holes with a down cut flat end mill of the appropriate diameter and depth. Figured it out where the sides of the hole contacted the marble at the same time as the bottom. Its different with different marbles.

The holes have an edge (instead of a ramp) that keeps the marbles in place. The marbles are much more stable in these flat-bottom holes, and the holes are much quicker to make with a spiral ramped inside profile cut. I'd have to look, but I think I used a 0.250" diameter down cut bit.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

Custom carving
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: next wave shark 520

Post by Custom carving »

adze_cnc wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:43 pm
A marble is convex. The hole you want is concave. If you have ball-end router bit that has a similar diameter to the marble you could use that either with a drilling toolpath or a pocket toolpath if the ball-end diameter is less than the marble diameter.

Questions about cutting holes for marbles to seat into come up quite often. Typing “marble hole” (without the quote marks) into the search box above should find something.
thanks for correcting me I couldn't decide which it was and some times I'm just bass ackwards
I try to learn something every day

RickW3DS
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: LongMill 30x30

Post by RickW3DS »

I did a test run for marble holes using a 1/2" core box bit and a 0.563" vector. One pass using a profile tool path, 0.17" deep and one pass with a drilling toolpath to remove the little bump at the bottom of the hole, 0.2" deep. The marbles seem to fit fairly tight but as Tex pointed out, I still need to do a jostle test before I run the entire job six times.

neilgill
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8+ with Rotary

Post by neilgill »

You could also use a V Carve Bit on a vector, you select the depth with a Profile path, that way the marble runs in the grove and is less likely to jump out, also making a v hole that holds it snuggly.

Neil

FabLab Wageningen
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Ooznest Workbee 1500x1500

Post by FabLab Wageningen »

One word of warning:

Marbles do not have 100% exactly the same sizes. I have once designed and lasered a lamp with marbles, but to my endless frustration some holes were too small and some holes were too large.
Marble_lamp_1.jpg
Marble_lamp_2.jpg

This is the final result. I had to make all holes too small to start with, and I had to file each hole out for the individual marble to fit in. My marble supplier had warned me in advance, to be honest.

Marcel.