Cutting a Groove on Edge of Workpiece

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
bluesandtwos
Model of CNC Machine: Queen Bee Pro

Cutting a Groove on Edge of Workpiece

Post by bluesandtwos »

I am trying to figure out a way of cutting a v groove on the side of my workpiece. Can anyone suggest a cutter which would achieve this?
I have attached photos of the item I am making and the groove I am trying to achieve.
I know I can use a hand router and cut the groove in a separate process with a 90 degree v bit but I would like to get a clean and accurate cut on my machine.
Any ideas?
IMG_20230116_172612.jpg
IMG_20230116_172445.jpg

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built 4-axis Router

Re: Cutting a Groove on Edge of Workpiece

Post by Tailmaker »

Try Magnate #796 or Whiteside #3508
bits.jpg
Dovetail and Finger Joint, Puzzle, Maze and Guilloche freeware at fabrikisto.com/tailmaker-software

bluesandtwos

Post by bluesandtwos »

Those bits would both appear to do the job but I can't find either of them in the UK unfortunately.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

The bits are also referred to as "bird's mouth" bits. Doing a web search for "bird's mouth bits great britain" turned up a number of hits.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

If you are in the UK then try Wealden Tools. They stock a wide range of bits & will no doubt have something suitable :lol: :lol:

https://www.wealdentool.com/index.html

bluesandtwos

Post by bluesandtwos »

Thank you for your suggestions. The only birdsmouth bits I can find are 1/2 inch which I could not use on my CNC. I guess they are designed to be run in a single pass so need to be pretty sturdy. I have messaged Wealden Tools to see if they can help. Thanks again!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Infinity Tools and Router Cutter UK both sell them in the UK.

bluesandtwos

Post by bluesandtwos »

Adrian wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:10 am
Infinity Tools and Router Cutter UK both sell them in the UK.
Found those thank you, all 1/2 inch again though.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I doubt you're going to find a bit like that in anything under 1/2" shank unless you go for a thread bit and then I don't think it would cut deep enough.

Generally any edge machining I do on the router table. Far quicker and easier than doing it on the CNC in my opinion and the CNC is free to do the things they do best in the meantime.

bluesandtwos

Post by bluesandtwos »

Adrian wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:31 pm
I doubt you're going to find a bit like that in anything under 1/2" shank unless you go for a thread bit and then I don't think it would cut deep enough.

Generally any edge machining I do on the router table. Far quicker and easier than doing it on the CNC in my opinion and the CNC is free to do the things they do best in the meantime.
You make some good points, I just felt this should be something I could do. Thank you though for your thoughts.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

+1 on what Adrian has said, just because something can be done on a CNC machine it doesn't mean it should :lol: :lol:

I guess it also comes down to what other equipment you have & how much space you have available. I rent an industrial unit so am lucky enough to have space for other equipment.

I am guessing you are using something like a trim router & limited to a 1/4 inch collet. Finding the right tool for a particular job is always going to be more of a challenge when you are limited on shank size. There are a couple of thread-cutting bits that would cut deep enough that I know of but they are on a 3/8 inch shank so again they will probably not fit your router, thread cutting bits also tend to be more expensive as well :lol: :lol:

bluesandtwos

Post by bluesandtwos »

martin54 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:38 pm
+1 on what Adrian has said, just because something can be done on a CNC machine it doesn't mean it should :lol: :lol:

I guess it also comes down to what other equipment you have & how much space you have available. I rent an industrial unit so am lucky enough to have space for other equipment.

I am guessing you are using something like a trim router & limited to a 1/4 inch collet. Finding the right tool for a particular job is always going to be more of a challenge when you are limited on shank size. There are a couple of thread-cutting bits that would cut deep enough that I know of but they are on a 3/8 inch shank so again they will probably not fit your router, thread cutting bits also tend to be more expensive as well :lol: :lol:
You are almost right, I have a Mafell FM 1000 spindle and I think the largest collet size is 8mm. Anyway, I agree that the router table is sensible and probably quicker. Really, it was an exercise in what is possible rather than what is practical. Thanks for all your thoughts though.