CorelDRAW Compatibility

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
j_a_wolfe
Model of CNC Machine: Sienci Mk2

CorelDRAW Compatibility

Post by j_a_wolfe »

Long time user of CorelDraw. Apparently, CorelDRAW Standard 2021 no longer has the ability to save files in DXF or DWG format. Saved my drawing as a PDF, AI, SVG and SVGZ with no luck opening in VCarve Pro 11.501. Is there a good workaround or am I going to be forced into a software change? I'm getting too damned old to "learn new tricks". :roll: :oops:

Thanx,

Jim

mickecarlsson
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CNC 6040, Vectric Aspire, UCCNC

Re: CorelDRAW Compatibility

Post by mickecarlsson »

Have you tried to create a new file in Vectric, then Import your SVG or PDF?

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

j_a_wolfe wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:27 am
Saved my drawing as a PDF, AI, SVG and SVGZ with no luck opening in VCarve Pro 11.501.
Define “no luck”. No vectors at all, imported as wrong size, imported as bitmap image, etc.?

For Illustrator (and perhaps SVG) you might need to do the following as per the Corel help:
Convert an outline to an object to create an unfilled closed object with the outline’s shape

In the Options area, enable the Convert outlines to objects check box.
EPS is also listed as export format for Corel Standard 2021.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I can export from that version of CorelDraw into VCarve 11 no problem at all using those formats so I can only assume you are doing something wrong at the Corel end.

I didn't change any defaults when saving or exporting (I tried both methods in case there were differences) other than choosing to save text as curves when the option was presented. Even with fills and shadows on some objects I still got a useable drawing.

Bwcherry
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity Woodworker X-50

Post by Bwcherry »

Morning Jim!

I’m also a long time Coreldraw user, since version 3 to be exact! I use Coreldraw 2021 and I have no issue exporting to DXF or SVG. In fact I use Corel draw for concept drawings such as inlay cutting boards, then export the whole thing directly into VCarve. You mentioned standard CorelDraw; is there a version that is “limited” that you are using? I couldn’t find anything on that but I admit I didn’t look really hard. If there is, maybe upgrade Corel to “full” if that makes sense. One of my favorite things about Corel is all the file import and export options. This really should be working for you so it does seem like something is missing. Keep us posted!

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

CorelDRAW® Graphics Suite 2021 offers DXF/DWG export. As .ai files appear to work (see Adrian’s coments above) one should not need to ugrapge to Graphics Suite.

j_a_wolfe
Model of CNC Machine: Sienci Mk2

Post by j_a_wolfe »

As stated, I am using CorelDRAW Standard 2021. It seems to be a limited version that I purchased for $299. It does not offer the option of saving files as DXF or DWG. They offer their CorelDRAW Graphics Suite for $199/year as a subscription. That product will allow for saving files as DXF or DWG.
The Standard 2021 version claims compatibility with JPG, PNG, SVG, PDF, EPS, GIF, BMP, CPT, CPX, CMX, FILL, and TXT, DOCX, PSD, TIFF, WMF, EMF, AI, HEIF files. I made a simple drawing and saved it as an AI file and an SVG.
Trying to open the AI file directly resulted in an error message, "Failed To Open EPS/AI/PDF File Error Code 3." Creating a new file and "Importing Vectors" yielded the same result.

Since Vectric claims the ability to import AI and SVG files, I must be doing (or not doing) something on the Corel side. I'll pursue that route. I'm hoping adze_cnc is on to something.

I'll post when I figure this out.

Thanx for the help,

Jim

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

Vectric products do import Illustrator files. But… not all programs export Illustrator well. Rhino 3D for instance, I believe as I am not near it to check, also writes files that throw that error code.

If you can post a simple AI file here (you’ll probably need to compress it to .ZIP) that gives the error 3 I can try to load it via Illustrator as see what it looks like there. A simple file with a square and a circle of known sizes or something like that will be fine.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I'd use SVG personally. When I was testing this the SVG and PDF exports worked perfectly every time but the AI did trip up sometimes.
Attachments
test.zip
(570.25 KiB) Downloaded 17 times

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: eBay special China 3040

Post by Mikehell »

Bwcherry wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:26 pm
Morning Jim!

I’m also a long time Coreldraw user, since version 3 to be exact!
I got you beat! Been using it since version 2! :)

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

Yeah. Yeah! Well, I remember when Corel was first created because a Canadian (Ottawa-based) company was going show those Silicon Valley people how it was done.

:D :D :D :D :D :D