inaccurate circles in V-carve Desktop

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
exic
Model of CNC Machine: Sorotec BasicLine 0605

inaccurate circles in V-carve Desktop

Post by exic »

Hi every one,

I wanted to mill a few "precision" holes quickly and after 2 failed tests I came across the following I can not fix at the moment:

I enter a circle diameter of 7.35mm into V-Carve and when I measure, the circles are only 7mm. No matter how I enter it (radius, diameter, on different PCs, updates), V-Carve always cuts off everything after the decimal point. I've never noticed that.

I couldn't find anything in the options either...

PS:
interestingly, you can enter 2 decimal places for ellipses and that works fine ... a symmetrical ellipse is also a circle :roll:

But this is not a real solution... Thank you all for the support

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: inaccurate circles in V-carve Desktop

Post by TReischl »

I have been using the software for 14 years, along with a lot of other folks. Do you think maybe there is something set up wrong in your software? I would think so, since all the rest of us do not have this issue.

First place I would look is in the post processor. Have you been messing around with it lately?
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Hi,
I totally agree with Ted.
What material were you cutting and how did you measure a 7,35 mm diameter hole?

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

TReischl: the way I read this (or choose to read this) is that nothing was actually cut and as such it’s no a prost-processor issue.

exic: I take umbrage with posts that have titles like this one. Unless you can definitively prove this is an error with the program it’s best not to use such titles.

How are you “measuring” this 7.35mm diameter circle that you are creating? Are you using the “Dimensions” tool? (See here). If so do remember that there is a decimal place settings on that tool's options page (red arrow in image below) that might be set to 0 for some reason.
measure tool.png
Try this. Draw a circle specifying a diameter of 7.35mm. Close the circle tool. Click on the created circle to select it. Choose the “Set Size” tool under “Transform Objects” and see if it says that width and height are 7.35mm.

If you still think the program is creating a circle with 7mm diameter no matter what you put in show us with a screenshot. The built in Windows Snipping tool is good for that.

Burnside
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre

Post by Burnside »

How are you measuring these? I’m guessing, as already mentioned, you didn’t actually cut anything and you’re using the dimension tool? Good points were mentioned already so I won’t be redundant.

I cut 20.005mm holes today and all 10 miced at exactly that diameter. The software, as far as I can tell, is accurate.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

I'm betting adze_cnc has spotted the "problem". With decimal place set to 0 in the dimensioning tool a 7.35 shape will measure 7. Set the decimal places to 1 and you'll get 7.4. That is the only way I could replicate what the O.P. claimed was happening.
My strategy to verify width and height of any shape I've drawn is just to look at the bottom of the screen window when the shape has been selected. I don't waste time with the dimensioning tool unless visual dimensions are needed in the drawing for quick glance reference.
4D

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I expect what is happening is that the op is using a comma (,) as the decimal separator rather than a point/period (.) which is common in most European countries.

That fits in with what he is seeing in that if you enter 7,35 in the Circle tool only the 7 is accepted but if you enter 7,35 in the Ellipse/Oval tool it converts to 7.35

I'd say that's a bug as they should both behave the same way at the least and ideally accept both formats.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

+1 to Adrian

Adrian ---- I believe that you are SPOT ON because I see the same thing too!!!

By using the comma (mm) the software tends to ignore anything after the comma.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

I just tried to create two circles in VCarve (trial) 11.016 running under Windows 7.

With the operating sytem (OS) default decimal separator set as a period entering 7.35 and 7,35 both created 7.35mm circles.

With the OS default decimal separator set as a comma entering 7,35 and 7.35 both created 7,35mm circles.

It would seem that (at least under Windows 7) using either a period or comma works in VCarve (11.016 and 9.519), at least in my case, regardless of the OS defined decimal separator.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

That's interesting. It definitely doesn't accept a comma in the Circle tool with Windows 10 but does in other tools.

Changing the default symbols makes no difference either with my setup.

Burnside
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre

Post by Burnside »

Same goes for windows 11. Good catch Adrian. Being in the US and an engineer that deals with numbers everyday, it never occurred to me to try a comma in the value entry.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

I am running V-Carve Pro 11.504 on Windows 10 Home 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

I get the same results as Adrian

Interesting Conversation!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

FabLab Wageningen
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Ooznest Workbee 1500x1500

Post by FabLab Wageningen »

Continental Europe over here.

Default work with comma as decimal separator. Both circle and rectangle tools accept both comma and point. Both show a point in view mode. But dimensions are as entered with comma. Huh ?

rectangle 10,5 by 10.5 shows later as 10.5 by 10.5
circle with 10,5 diameter shows as 10.5
circle with 10.5 diameter shows as 10.5

Marcel.
Who remembers typing the 'decimal_point_is_comma' phrase a million times in his life.
And realises his knowledge of COBOL is actually older than his Windows....
A
a
a
r
g
l

exic
Model of CNC Machine: Sorotec BasicLine 0605

Post by exic »

Hi and thank you all.

Marcel has the easy solution. I am a continental european (germany) and I am using the "," everytime without thinking.

to answer your questions:
@ TReischl the PP works fine. I used it for over a year now with no problems.

@ LittleGreyMan this time I was cutting bambus an I used a outside micrometer to messure the needed diameter. I test fit it and then I measured it with a caliper.

@ adze_cnc i did cut and measured with the “Dimensions” tool and the "measuring" tool both. In the Dimensions tool it is set to 3 decimal.

@Burnside I never wanted to point out that the software is th problem but my settings.

@ Adrian 1+ I totally agree with you that "they should both behave the same way at the least and ideally accept both formats."

Thank you every on again...

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

FabLab Wageningen wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:04 pm
Continental Europe over here.

Default work with comma as decimal separator. Both circle and rectangle tools accept both comma and point. Both show a point in view mode. But dimensions are as entered with comma. Huh ?

rectangle 10,5 by 10.5 shows later as 10.5 by 10.5
circle with 10,5 diameter shows as 10.5
circle with 10.5 diameter shows as 10.5
What version of Windows are you running?