Brothers Death

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Mogsy31
Model of CNC Machine: Shpeoko 3xxl

Brothers Death

Post by Mogsy31 »

My Brother passed away this morning after a short fight with cancer, he was 50 years old

I have been trying for weeks now to get a photo converted into a 3d model so i can carve it and send it to his wife
I'm in USA and she is in UK

I have tried in vain with other software and all the online STL converters with no success, i guess I'm just too old to learn the mechanics behind it all
I need it as detailed as possible

If possible is there anyone out there that could convert it for ma so i can carve it, i would be forever indebted to you

I have Vcarve desktop 11
Paul.JPG
Paul2.png
thanks

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Brothers Death

Post by martin54 »

I wouldn't know where to start with trying to convert that into a decent STL file for 3D carving but another option might be a photovcarve or a lithophane both of which you might be able to do yourself :lol: :lol:

Mogsy31

Post by Mogsy31 »

Appreciate the honest reply Martin

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

The online converters or "other software" will take the grey levels in the image (usually from 0 = black to 255 = white and values in between as greys) and try to convert those into depths below a surface. Those depths are usually white as 0 and black as whatever you specify. This can work for some images but highly textured ones (as in tree bark and in this case carp scales) can be a bit disappointing.

In this image I specified black pixels to be 1/8" deep. I also specified 9 samples per pixel to hopefully catch some edge details. This produces some un-natural artefacts where the mouth, nostril, and eyes are.

Image converted via "heightfield" command in Rhino 3D (diff between white and black 1/8")
Image converted via "heightfield" command in Rhino 3D (diff between white and black 1/8")

Rhino 3D file as 3D finishing toolpath in VCarve (1/8" bit 0.010" step-over)
Rhino 3D file as 3D finishing toolpath in VCarve (1/8" bit 0.010" step-over)

martin's probably on the money about using a photo vcarve toolpath. For that matter it might be a thing to think about laser-shading the image.

That's a fairly solid-looking (in the best sense) fellow and some "whacking-great" cat-fish (or is that a carp?).

Steven

Mogsy31

Post by Mogsy31 »

Thanks for the input Steven
I'm currently playing around in Blender with a little success

The fish is a Carp sir, its a Mirror carp

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Mogsy31,

I'm sorry for your loss.

This kind of modelling requires Aspire, so better post on the Aspire part of the forum to be sure Aspire users will see it..

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

It isn't a high-resolution picture, so it's a little hard to get a great stl file but try this one. It was done in Aspire.
Attachments
paul.zip
(1.17 MiB) Downloaded 26 times

Jimcad
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Alpha CNC 6090 with 4th Axis

Post by Jimcad »

Mogsy. Sorry but I'm no help with this. I DO wish you well though and feel your pain. All my best wishes. Jim