Laser Cutting Project

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
marcovadala
Model of CNC Machine: stepcraft 840d

Laser Cutting Project

Post by marcovadala »

Hello, I have a problem with a laser cut project. I use Vcarve descktop. the laser is OPT laser 6w. I try to explain the problem: I downloaded a drawing image, which I then import as a bitmap, then I trace the bitmap, then I go to the laser and I enter the data for cutting power, speed and number of passes (8). I save and send the data to my laser. As soon as I start the laser it turns on, the laser makes the first pass (on) then continues the other passes with the laser (off). why does he do this? Where am I doing wrong?
Attachments
SCREENSHOT PROVA.pdf
(401.46 KiB) Downloaded 39 times

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: LASER CUTTING PROJECT

Post by adze_cnc »

Would this be related to this post or is it something new?

marcovadala

Post by marcovadala »

it's a new project with a different image, what I can't understand, why with the drawing, the laser behaves like this, while if I use a figure created with Vcarve the laser does the cut correctly.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

As with the other thread we really need to see the original CRV file to see the difference between the vectors that work and the the vectors that don't. As Steven asked the code files would be good as well.

Which post processor are you using?

marcovadala

Re: Laser Cutting Project

Post by marcovadala »

hi, this is the project, as I explained before, the problem occurs when I have to cut the tree which is an image that I imported from the web. when I send the G code to the laser, the first pass the laser is on, as soon as the second pass begins, the laser turns off, the machine continues to run, but with the laser off. the post processor is stepcraft laser (mm) (*.tap)
Attachments
progetto targhetta natale una targhetta iniziale w.creations.crv
(418 KiB) Downloaded 18 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

The output from that post processor looks ok to me. For each pass there is an M10 command to turn the laser on and then an M11 to turn it off at the end.

I'm far from an expert on the laser module but I would suspect the issue is how your controller is handling the M10 and M11 macros.

marcovadala

Post by marcovadala »

thanks Adrian for the help, the thing I don't understand is that the laser cuts the frame with 8 passes keeping the laser on, with the image of the tree it gives me this problem, I tried other images and it does the same what, i think there is some problem or error i do with vcarve desktop.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

As far as the code goes it looks the same to me. There is an M10 to turn the laser on, a block of code, an M11 to turn the laser off, move to next pass and repeat.

The only difference between the two toolpaths is that the rectangle is 10 passes and the tree is 8.

I may well be wrong but my feeling is that it's not an issue with VCarve or the post processor. Look at this way, the code is telling the laser to turn on and off where you expect it to so if it's not turning on and off then it has to be when the code is processed that is the issue.

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Seeing Adrian's reply, I suggest another test.

Make 2 toolpaths: 1 for the rectangle, 1 for the tree.

Run the tree toolpath alone: is it OK?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Not sure if the project will load for people without the laser module installed so I've attached a zip file with three files produced from the Stepcraft Laser post processor in case someone can see an issue. One is both toolpaths combined and the others are the individual tree and border.
Attachments
code.zip
(2.53 KiB) Downloaded 13 times

marcovadala

Post by marcovadala »

first of all, I have to thank everyone who tried to solve this problem of mine. I contacted Vectric support directly. they replied that version 11.501 of vcarve contained a bug that blocked the laser processing, they told me to update to version 11.504 and it actually works now. I hope this information can be useful to someone else. Thanks again for everything

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Well that explains why I couldn't see anything wrong as I've been running 11.504 since it was released.