Suggestions to improve profile cut

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
sakle2k
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger I

Suggestions to improve profile cut

Post by sakle2k »

I'm about to cut out a badge shaped sign and the simulation shows the bit biting into the material at every corner. I'm using a 1/4" endmill with a separate last pass of .02". Any suggestions for how to avoid this?

Thanks.
1.png
2.png

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Suggestions to improve profile cut

Post by adze_cnc »

What you are seeing are mathematical errors in the cut the made the yellow path. If you really want to eliminate them in the preview then have that cut extend past the edge of the profile cut.

If it were me I’d and the material was wood-based I’d just things as they are. But that’s me.

sakle2k
Vectric Apprentice

Post by sakle2k »

adze_cnc wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:54 pm
What you are seeing are mathematical errors in the cut the made the yellow path. If you really want to eliminate them in the preview then have that cut extend past the edge of the profile cut.

If it were me I’d and the material was wood-based I’d just things as they are. But that’s me.
Not sure I understand. The yellow path is just a shallow pocket and then the profile cuts it out.

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

If you zoom in on the preview, it doesn't look like the bit is biting into the shield. What you're seeing is uncut material resulting from the pocket tool radius not being able to cut all the way out to the point in the corner. That's why Steve suggested you overcut the pocket outwards a little, so that the tool can reach that area and cut away the material in the corners.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

sakle2k
Vectric Apprentice

Post by sakle2k »

dealguy11 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:17 pm
If you zoom in on the preview, it doesn't look like the bit is biting into the shield. What you're seeing is uncut material resulting from the pocket tool radius not being able to cut all the way out to the point in the corner. That's why Steve suggested you overcut the pocket outwards a little, so that the tool can reach that area and cut away the material in the corners.
That did it, thank you both for taking the time to explain!

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Zooming in on my iPad focused on the one anomaly at the extreme right of this image such that I missed the corner problem. Thankfully Steve pointed us in the right direction.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Whenever I get that look in my previews. I just add a small allowance to the toolpath then those disappear. I am away from the computer right now and do not remember off hand whether it was a positive or negative allowance that solved my issues like the Op is seeing.

You could use that allowance mentioned on either one of the toolpaths. The pocket or profile there; Make the pocket offset outward a tiny amount or offset the profile cutout toolpath inward a tiny amount your choice.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554