Vcarve not cutting in center of board

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
lrehklau
Model of CNC Machine: Tormach

Vcarve not cutting in center of board

Post by lrehklau »

Vectric 11.5

Material is .5 x.5 x 6", have a .3215 x 6.0" rectangle, I am cutting .3215 deep with a 90 degree bit. I select v-Carve to do the processing, looks great in the drawing, perfect centering between the .5". When I go to cut it out, its clear that its not going to be center. I have a
Flat V Flat
.103 - .3215 V - .1330

I have tried 10.5, 10.0 & 9.5 Vectric and the same, using profile and specifying depth & center cut works, but vcarve process doe not.

Is there an offset missing, or is this a feature when using vcarve to process cut.

I have attached a photo of the cut

thx
Attachments
V-Grove-off.jpg

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Vcarve not cutting in center of board

Post by adze_cnc »

This is like seeing skid-marks, a twisted guard-rail and trying figure out what car hit it.

After parsing this my question is this: why not just draw a line and run a profile toolpath "on the line"?

Things that may affect the V-Carve / Engraving Toolpath:
  1. the tip of the bit is not really aligned with the centre of the shank
  2. the material is not held so that the face to cut is perpendicular to the vertical (Z) travel of the machine
  3. bit may not actually be 90 degrees included angle (this combined with #1 could up the deviation)

lrehklau

Post by lrehklau »

Thanks Adaze for the reply

I have tried 2 different 90 degree bits, but both bits give the same offset, if that's what it is, a offest, I going to test depths and see where the offset starts, I'll know on the first cut as thats where it shows up

whats interesting is, I just did a cut thats only .03 deep. it looks perfect center,

Yea, doing a profile cut and specifiying depth will work, but doing a inlay is the goal

I will order another bit, amana, tell the wife its only 5 bucks

So I feel the deeper I go, the more it shows up, the bit could be it, time to spend money, it fixes everything at some point

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Could you upload your CRV file just so we can review the settings?
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Burnside
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre

Post by Burnside »

What kind of bit is it? I've seen this behavior with the "razor blade" or "carbide" insert bits, which is why I never buy them. I've done something similar to you using a whiteside 1502, no issues. The fact that you go deeper and it moves strongly suggests the bit. Maybe you've got some dust in your collet and the bit is wobbling slightly, but I doubt it. Upload the CRV just to be sure.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

If the toolpath preview looks right then it is unlikely to be the Vectric software so trying different versions won't help :lol:
How are you setting your X Y zero position?

Is it just this file or have you had problems with other toolpaths?

lrehklau

Post by lrehklau »

Thanks for all the replies, I figured out the issue. I am using a machine CNC, Tormach to do the job, I also use what is called a Haimer to set XYZ to zero. Somehow the Haimer was not running true for xy, y was more critical, it was off close to .043, I will also say the new bit and Haimer calibrated, its perfect.

The end result, I believe, with the help of you all, I had two issues at one time. How the Haimer was out of calibration that much, I don't know, but its within .0007 now, the bit, at highest RPM, you could really tell it was not running true.

thanks everyone, could have not done it without your help & guidance

les