Tiling question

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Re: Tiling question

Post by sharkcutup »

Here is a video of a long sign in the Tiling Process.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004

Custom carving
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: next wave shark 520

Post by Custom carving »

thanks for that resource....
I try to learn something every day

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

If you look through the Vectric tutorials there are some that cover tiling, it's alignment that is key & how you do that may depend on what you are doing, if you have waste material on one side or the other then it is quite easy to use dowels to align your board but if you are starting with a board that is finished size then you are going to have to rely on some other method which will involve some fairly accurate measuring if your tile falls on an area that needs to be cut :lol: :lol: If you can space your tiles between text or graphics then you have a little more wiggle room but that isn't always possible.
You need to make sure that the fence you use to slide the board along is straight & at 90 degrees to either your x or y axis, depending on how your CNC is set up. I have used several different methods to do this but one of the easiest is to fix the fence in position & then use the CNC to machine an edge, if your CNC is set up correctly then that will give you a perfect 90-degree angle.
Beware of tape measures when moving your board if you are using that method, tape measures are not very accurate & also make sure if you are using something like a pencil line then make it as thin as possible if you have an overlapping cut. It is actually quite an easy process, you just need to take a bit of time & care when setting up & when moving the board.
I had a quick look at your file & if it were me making this sign then I would change the font :lol: :lol: Not a big fan of stretching text to make it fit & to me this looks like it has been stretched quite a bit looking at the stroke widths. It shouldn't be to hard to find a font that fits a lot better without manipulating it. If your having problems with the overall length compared to the height then look at using a condensed font :lol: :lol:
I didn't check but if this is a sign for a shop or a business then you will probably have to open the kerning up a bit as well, makes it easier to read from a distance with larger text, downside to doing that is that it doesn't help with the overall length :lol: :lol: :lol:

Custom carving
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Custom carving »

sharkcutup wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:14 pm
Here is a video of a long sign in the Tiling Process.

Sharkcutup
i was watching the video and I found something I have never used and don't know how to turn it on but it would be very helpful for me... guide lines. it shows it at 7:15 in the video and I couldn't tell by watching how he turned it on

Custom carving
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Custom carving »

I checked in view and it says that guide lines should be visible

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

easiest way to add guide lines is to drag them out from the rulers at the top & side of the work area, are you sure it is guidelines though & not a grid you want? A grid would need to be turned on :lol: :lol:

Custom carving
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Custom carving »

martin54 wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:22 pm
easiest way to add guide lines is to drag them out from the rulers at the top & side of the work area, are you sure it is guidelines though & not a grid you want? A grid would need to be turned on :lol: :lol:
I knew it was something simple, that I just have never had the chance to use before... learn something new every day thanks for your input

Custom carving
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Custom carving »

is there a way that I can just cut the radius on the end in the profile cut? I have been fighting with this project for some time since I am pretty close to the limits of my machine. I have 25 1/2 inches on my x axis and it's a 24" sign so it doesn't leave much room for clamps. I had asked in a different thread how to do the Z safe option and never got an answer. I have made a special spoil board that I have modified 4 times. I finally have it to where I can run this project against a fence that is milled to specs and clamp on the other side. I have my tiling pin located and ready to be drilled. since the project is cut to size all I really need to do is the radius on the end, not cut down the sides. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated since this is THE LARGEST PROJECT I have ever done.
Attachments
2nd try sam2.crv
(67.5 KiB) Downloaded 12 times

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Custom carving wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:56 pm
is there a way that I can just cut the radius on the end in the profile cut?
Yes. One to do that is...

Don’t think that you need to do everything with the vectors you have. Copy the outer profile to a new layer (call it “Corners”). Turn off "Layer 1” use the node edit tools to cut the nodes where the straights meet the arcs. Delete the straights so that all you’re left with is the arcs.

Turn back on the “Layer 1”. Create a profile toolpath. Use the “Vectors Selection” “Selector” button. Choose “Open Vectors”. Choose “Selected Layers Only”. Choose the “Corners” layer. Choose “Associate with toolpath”. Chose “Close”.

Setup your cut paramters. For "Machine Vectors” choose “Outside / Right”. Create and preview the toolpath.

Some of the corners might look wrong because they are cutting inside. Use the Node Edit to change their start points (the green sqaure) to the other end. Recalculate the toolpath. Repeat until everything looks good.