Import a Component or 3D Model

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Jayhawk714
Model of CNC Machine: Inventables 100-PRO

Post by Jayhawk714 »

I have files with the CRV3D extension that i want to import into Vcarve Desktop. The help files said to use the Import a "Component or 3D Model" command. However, when I open a new file and scroll down to Import the Component or 3D Model is grayed out. What step am I missing? I am still using the trial version as I am waiting to hear back from Vectric with an answer to a question before buying.

Any help will be great,

Duane

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Import a Component or 3D Model

Post by Rcnewcomb »

CRV3D files can only be opened by Aspire. You would need someone with Aspire to open the CRV3D files, then save the vectors as a CRV file, and the 3D components as STL files.

I've sent a note to support@vectric.com that the VCarve help text, referenced below, is inaccurate.

This command opens the File Open dialog window, allowing existing VCarve Pro files (CRV3D extension) and importable 3rd party 3D files to be selected and opened. If you select a 3rd party 3D model format, the Orientate Model form will open (see below) to allow you to manipulate the 3D model before it is converted into a Component.

CRV3D 3D data from files previously created and saved in VCarve Pro will be opened and a new single Component Created (from all the visible 3D Components in the file when it was saved). The new Component will have the same name as the file. This will be imported at the size and position the part was saved in the original file.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

The trial version of Aspire can open a CRV3D file and save it as a CRV file that can be opened by a VCarve program. I've done it many times. The only thing I've run into is that if you don't have the latest trial version of Aspire, it won't open and you have to redownload the latest version. Also, you will loose 3D information in the file.

And, I don't know what happens if you use the trial version of VCarve for the process.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Jayhawk714

Post by Jayhawk714 »

Bummer! Thank you for this information. Glad I only have 2 files with that extension. :lol:

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Yup! All 3D Models and any information pertaining to them will not be saved in a .crv file from Aspire but if you create vectors for the outlines of models they are preserved and saved in the .crv file. It makes sense that the 3D information is not provided thereby preserving the marketing aspect of Aspire.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Jayhawk714

Post by Jayhawk714 »

Thank you, Sir. Understand the reason. Just Xcarve Desktop said you can import crv3d files which I found out the user guide was wrong. :lol: :( :P

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Response from Vectric:
Thanks for the report and feedback on this.

I can see what you mean on this and have added a change to the documentation which should help clarify this more clearly for future readers.

It should be integrated into the documentation in the next patch release now.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop