Question about adding an Amana bit to the tool database

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
sakle2k
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger I

Question about adding an Amana bit to the tool database

Post by sakle2k »

I'm adding an Amana 45628 15 deg V groove engraving bit. Per Amana, the Angle (a°) is 15º but the a1° is 45º. Isn't the a° considered the side angle and the a1° the total angle? I would think a1° would equal 15º and a° would equal 7.5°. What am I missing?

Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving!
Les

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Question about adding an Amana bit to the tool database

Post by Adrian »

That isn't a normal v-bit as it doesn't have a continuous set angle. The end of the bit is a different angle to the rest of the bit.

For what it's worth the Amana tool database defines it as engraving bit with a 7.5 degree side angle and a flat diameter of 0.02"

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Look at the image at their site or just look at the bit itself... that 45 degrees is the very tip. The 15 degrees applies to the rest of the slope. Whether that 15 degree is a side or included angle is up for research.

If you want to truly enter this bit as it is you’d probably want to enter it as a form tool. But that might cause weird results in V-Carve / Engraving Toolpath.

You’re probably best to ignore the 45 degree bevel, focus on the 15 degree remainder of the tool and accept that you V-Carve / Engraving toolpaths will have odd results.

sakle2k
Vectric Apprentice

Post by sakle2k »

Adrian wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:05 pm
That isn't a normal v-bit as it doesn't have a continuous set angle. The end of the bit is a different angle to the rest of the bit.

For what it's worth the Amana tool database defines it as engraving bit with a 7.5 degree side angle and a flat diameter of 0.02"
Thanks Adrian, I've installed the Amana toolbase and see what you mean. I'll see how it works using those geometry settings. Very confusing for Amana to not provide consistent information between the toolbase and their website.

sakle2k
Vectric Apprentice

Post by sakle2k »

adze_cnc wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:06 pm
You’re probably best to ignore the 45 degree bevel, focus on the 15 degree remainder of the tool and accept that you V-Carve / Engraving toolpaths will have odd results.
Yeah, that's what I'll do. Adrian pointed out the settings in the Amana toolbase so I'll give that a try. Thanks for the feedback.