Toolpath

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
blackte
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: NewCNC Talent T2

Toolpath

Post by blackte »

I know I have done this before, but unable to figure it out. I have a shape that I want to apply 2 different tools to when cutting. But I can not figure out how to separate the different paths so that I can assign the correct tool to each path. The curved section and the bottom will be using a "V" bit, and then the back and top will be using a 3/8's compression bit to cut-out. The shape can not change since it was imported from Sketch-up and will be cut on a Kerfkore Plywood and then wrapped on a vent hood.
Hood_Full_SidesOnly_Profile_D09192022.crv
(58.5 KiB) Downloaded 40 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Toolpath

Post by Adrian »

Simplest way is to go into node editing and cut on the two opposite corner nodes to make two separate vectors rather than the one closed one.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

With the simplest way you'll need to be careful of what side of the open vector you will cut the 3/8" bit's cut.

Another way is to copy the shapes to a new layer. Node edit and cut as Adrian mentioned. Create a v-bit cut with those vectors. Create a 3/8" cut with the original vectors. See attached file. Toolpaths uncalculated to reduce file size.
Attachments
ripples - jigger template.crv
VCarve v9.519 file
(57.5 KiB) Downloaded 34 times

blackte
Vectric Apprentice

Post by blackte »

Are there any good tutorials for Node Editing and Vectors? I'm struggling to alter vectors for a toolpath. I know it should not be this difficult.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

One often overlooked place to look is the help file: https://docs.vectric.com/docs/V11.0/VCa ... index.html

Admittedly not the easiest thing to navigate. You need to select Drawing Tools > Object Selection then click on a link to Node Editing to find the section in the help file.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

This category has multiple videos that cover vector drawing, editing and node editing.

https://www.vectric.com/support/tutoria ... or-drawing

blackte
Vectric Apprentice

Post by blackte »

Thanks for all of the reply's. Just struggling to edit nodes, cut, delete, etc. without causing problems. Need to change the tool paths for a couple of items. I will see what I can watch and figure out.

blackte
Vectric Apprentice

Post by blackte »

So, I'm back to trying to understand Node Editing. I have watched about everything I can watch, but still struggling. Maybe I'm going about this wrong, so that might be an issue also. I'm just not sure. So I have a 4 sided flat panel (Top, Bottom, LSide, RSide). Currently when I select the panel all 4 edges highlight. What I want to achieve is the (LSide, Bottom, RSide) on 1 selection, and then the (Top) on another selection. I want to be able to assign 2 different tools, 1 for each section. Is what I'm attempting to do possible? I have attempted to cut vectors on opposite corners, and can only get 2 side, not 3. Maybe it's not possible to have 3 sides in one selection for vectors, but unsure. Maybe my terminology is not correct either.

I appreciate any help someone can provide. Maybe they way I have it will work. I would just need to (shift)select both sections to include in the toolpath.

TIA
Attachments
test.crv
(20.5 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Vectric_Screen_Shot_1.PNG
Vectric_Screen_Shot_2.PNG
Vectric_Screen_Shot_3.PNG

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

With open vectors inside/outside becomes left/right so if you're using a profile toolpath with one of those options you will need to make sure that the the start points of the vectors (set in node editing) are at the correct ends of the vectors to reflect where you want the cut.

You will need to check that the Start At tab settings in the toolpath are set to Keep Current Start Points if you want the toolpath to follow the start node direction.

If you have the toolpath set to cut On the line then the start direction doesn't matter.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

might be easier if you can upload the file :lol: :lol:

There isn't a limit to how many sections you can have, sometimes you do need to zoom in a bit to be able to cut vectors plus you may have vectors grouped.

As for cutting open vectors then you need to be aware of left/right of the line as Adrian has said.
This has nothing to do with how you see the dotted lines on the screen :lol: :lol: The left/right refers to the direction of cut in relation to the green start node of the vector which could be at either end of the dotted line you can see on screen.

In node edit mode, imagine standing on the green node facing along the vector, it is then easy to see which is the left (inside) or right (outside) of the line & which side you need to be cutting as long as you know your left from your right :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

blackte wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:55 am
So, I'm back to trying to understand Node Editing. I have watched about everything I can watch, but still struggling. Maybe I'm going about this wrong, so that might be an issue also. I'm just not sure. So I have a 4 sided flat panel (Top, Bottom, LSide, RSide). Currently when I select the panel all 4 edges highlight. What I want to achieve is the (LSide, Bottom, RSide) on 1 selection, and then the (Top) on another selection. I want to be able to assign 2 different tools, 1 for each section. Is what I'm attempting to do possible? I have attempted to cut vectors on opposite corners, and can only get 2 side, not 3. Maybe it's not possible to have 3 sides in one selection for vectors, but unsure. Maybe my terminology is not correct either.
Here's your file with the tools applied as you say you want them. 1 on 3 sides and 1 on the remaining.

If the whole shape is being selected when you click it on it then you haven't cut the vectors at the corners correctly. You need to break it into at least two different vectors to do what you want. For the file I've attached I broke it into four for the top shape to show that you can have multiple vectors in a selection. The bottom shape is two parts. I had to change one start point to get the cut on the "outside" on the first shape.
Attachments
Test-open.crv3d
(71 KiB) Downloaded 13 times

blackte
Vectric Apprentice

Post by blackte »

martin54 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:52 pm
might be easier if you can upload the file :lol: :lol:
Martin54 - the file is attached. test.crv in my post.

blackte
Vectric Apprentice

Post by blackte »

Adrian wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:16 pm
blackte wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:55 am
Here's your file with the tools applied as you say you want them. 1 on 3 sides and 1 on the remaining.

If the whole shape is being selected when you click it on it then you haven't cut the vectors at the corners correctly. You need to break it into at least two different vectors to do what you want. For the file I've attached I broke it into four for the top shape to show that you can have multiple vectors in a selection. The bottom shape is two parts. I had to change one start point to get the cut on the "outside" on the first shape.
Adrian - what version are you running? I'm unable to open the file. Not sure why. I'm running version 10.515

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

blackte wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:06 pm

Adrian - what version are you running? I'm unable to open the file. Not sure why. I'm running version 10.515
I run 11.504 but i saved the file as an Aspire file by mistake but you won't be able to open it in 10.515 anyway. I'll do another one now in 10.5 for you.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Here's the file in VCarve 10.5 format.
Attachments
Test-105.crv
(68.5 KiB) Downloaded 12 times