Adding a line to vector without changing shape of original

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
pfehlauer
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Adding a line to vector without changing shape of original

Post by pfehlauer »

Hi all,

I am working on a kind of inlay, where I want to embed one half heart inside of a cutout. So I want to use the same vector from the cut out to do the filler...the cutout was internal/left cut, and the filler should be outer/right. I did a try, and it was pretty close, but still not perfect.

What is happening, is since I want to cut the half heart for filler from a closed entire heart (to get two pieces), I joined two halves with stright lines.

HERE comes the question: when I add the vector line, even though I try to put the end node of the new line as close as possible, when I click join with straight line, I see that both vectors including the half heart, change a little bit. I do not care if the line changes, but I do not want the heart line to change, not even a little.

Is there a way to join two vectors and make sure that one of the lines stays completely constant?

not sure if I made myself clear......thanks!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Adding a line to vector without changing shape of original

Post by Adrian »

How much is it moving though? There is quite often a little bit of movement when anything with curves is joined but it's usually a tiny, tiny amount (100th of a millimetre) but looks more on screen.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Have you tried using LAYERS???

Copy the same vector to another layer. Now you have two of the same vector(s) but on different layers. You can now use either vector for one or the other toolpaths required for your process. You could even associate the Layer to a particular toolpath when applying certain vectors to individual layers.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004

pfehlauer
Vectric Apprentice

Post by pfehlauer »

Adrian wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 5:13 pm
How much is it moving though? There is quite often a little bit of movement when anything with curves is joined but it's usually a tiny, tiny amount (100th of a millimetre) but looks more on screen.
thanks, that is true. I ultra zoom it in and expect it to match to the pixel...but I guess I am overdoing it...will test again on scrap wood, txs

pfehlauer
Vectric Apprentice

Post by pfehlauer »

sharkcutup wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 5:14 pm
Have you tried using LAYERS???

Copy the same vector to another layer. Now you have two of the same vector(s) but on different layers. You can now use either vector for one or the other toolpaths required for your process. You could even associate the Layer to a particular toolpath when applying certain vectors to individual layers.

Sharkcutup
Thanks, that's not a bad idea, I have not thought about that...could leave it there and then ensure it all matches....toggle the layer on and off....cool, thanks.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

pfehlauer wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 3:54 pm
HERE comes the question: when I add the vector line, even though I try to put the end node of the new line as close as possible,
it is possible to draw a vector line exactly at the end point of another vector not just close. Doing this allows you to join the two without moving vectors to a common point, without using a smooth line, or without using a straight line. Just select both vectors and press J and as long as there are co-incident end points they’ll join without altering shape.

Another option is to use the extend tool to extend the too short vector to the other one.

I rarely ever you any of the 3 join icons to join things.

pfehlauer
Vectric Apprentice

Post by pfehlauer »

adze_cnc wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 6:40 pm
pfehlauer wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 3:54 pm
HERE comes the question: when I add the vector line, even though I try to put the end node of the new line as close as possible,
it is possible to draw a vector line exactly at the end point of another vector not just close. Doing this allows you to join the two without moving vectors to a common point, without using a smooth line, or without using a straight line. Just select both vectors and press J and as long as there are co-incident end points they’ll join without altering shape.

Another option is to use the extend tool to extend the too short vector to the other one.

I rarely ever you any of the 3 join icons to join things.
Thanks, need to look the J shortcut, did not use it ever.

How do you draw the vector exactly at the starting point? I guess doing a complete zoom in? I am having trouble to making them stick

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

pfehlauer wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 2:54 pm
[How do you draw the vector exactly at the starting point? I guess doing a complete zoom in? I am having trouble to making them stick
You can use F4 to set Geometric Snapping.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

pfehlauer
Vectric Apprentice

Post by pfehlauer »

FixitMike wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 4:08 pm
You can use F4 to set Geometric Snapping.
that sounds interesting, thanks