Completely Discourages

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
19mark45@gmail.com
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko XXL

Completely Discourages

Post by 19mark45@gmail.com »

I have been working on a cutting board with a sailboat inlay. Watched a YouTube video on how to and followed it to the letter. In the simulation mode the project looked wonderful. Before cutting the project I thought I'd better check out things in a piece of scrap wood since hardwoods are not only becoming increasingly expensive, but hard to find a well. I'm finding that thing don't always turn out as the appear in the simulation mode.

Attached is a picture of the display more. If you look at the spaces between the two sails and the boat and the water below, they appear fine, but in reality they merge together when cut so that there is no space between them. Also attached is the crv file used to create it.

So, why the discouragement? First, I'm rather new to CNC and it seems that almost all my project have turned out to be failures even when I am following expert advice. Second, if things do not actually cut as they appear in the simulation mode it makes me wonder if every project has to be first test. Even pine the least expensive wood is becoming expensive and I just cannot afford that. Third, I was hoping to get this project finished in time to give to very dear relative and it looks like it just isn't going to happen

I am wondering it there is anyone out there who has some experience can take a look at the crv file and tell me where I am going wrong and how to fix this.

Thanks
Attachments
Sail Boat Cutting Board.jpg
Sail Boat Female .crv
(726 KiB) Downloaded 48 times

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Re: Completely Discourages

Post by Leo »

On your 3-rd cutter - 90 deg v-bit. You have the wrong tool selected. You have a 1/4 end mill instead of a "V" bit
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by ohiolyons »

Some initial thoughts while I look at your file.

1. Pink insulation at a big box store is much cheaper and cuts like wood.
Downside good dust collection is required.

2. You said you are new and many experienced users have problems with inlays.
Have you done simpler cuts and they work out?
Too many new users jump into "harder" projects without first learning their machine.

3. 999/1000 times if it looks right on the screen it is a hardware/material/speed issue.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

When I ungroup your sailboat you have duplicate vectors.

Not good, I don't think that is the issue here, but in the future it could cause problems.
You never want duplicate vectors.

If you want to save a copy for changes place it on a separate layer and make it invisible.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

Leo wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 4:52 pm
On your 3-rd cutter - 90 deg v-bit. You have the wrong tool selected. You have a 1/4 end mill instead of a "V" bit
That is the way the inlay toolpath works, it list both EM and V bit.

That being said he selected a 60 bit, but the toolpath name says 90 degree.

I'll bet you used a 90 degree bit and that does explain why you gaps between sails disappeared.

If you put in a 60 degree v-bit (like the program is expecting) I'll bet all of your money and most of mine it cuts properly.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

Leo
Vectric Wizard

Post by Leo »

ohiolyons wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 5:35 pm
Leo wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 4:52 pm
That is the way the inlay toolpath works, it list both EM and V bit.

That being said he selected a 60 bit, but the toolpath name says 90 degree.

I'll bet you used a 90 degree bit and that does explain why you gaps between sails disappeared.

If you put in a 60 degree v-bit (like the program is expecting) I'll bet all of your money and most of mine it cuts properly.
I don't see a "V" bit in the toolpaths - It is EASY for me to miss something. I see 1/4 end mill in both toolpaths.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

Untitled.jpg
The clearance and finish toolpaths on inlays show both bits.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

Leo
Vectric Wizard

Post by Leo »

Yep - that is exactly what I said. It is easy for me to miss something. :D :D :D :D

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

Happens all the time, unfortunately.

Not to me, but a guy i know really well.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

99.99% of the time if what you're seeing doesn't match the preview then you've got something wrong on the machine end such as the z-zero setting, pushing the machine too hard, different bit to what you've told the software (60/90 as pointed out in other replies) etc etc.

There should be no need to test cut ever job first as the preview is very, very reliable.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

+ 1 on what Adrian has just said, I know how the finished part will look before it starts cutting, if at the end of that process it doesn't then I know the error is either something that I have done wrong or a fault with the machine (most likely something that I have done) :lol:

If you are new then there is a learning curve, not just the software but the actual machine & the software it uses as well, it may well be that you haven't spent enough time learning the Basics before moving on to more complex projects, I get that everyone wants to be making really cool things but in the long run learning the basics first will help you so much in the overall progress you make.
Bit like being back at school, you start with the basics & then progress as you learn :lol: :lol:

pfehlauer
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Post by pfehlauer »

dont be discouraged. I ruined many jobs, and I tested and tried them on scrap several time...after 2 years now, I rarely cut a test proof. I cut templates, thought, to center the bit, but thats it. Once you learn the variables like meterial setup, cut depth and bit movement (speed, plumnge, etc.), it comes naturally.

skiltrade
Model of CNC Machine: built

Post by skiltrade »

Hi Mark,

try this? I cleaned up the extra vectors

might need adjust feeds and speeds
Attachments
Sail Boat Female 2.crv
(2.58 MiB) Downloaded 28 times

AboveCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: i2r B22

Post by AboveCreations »

I agree with what everyone replied... you really need to spend time doing jobs that are more simpler; to both learn your machine and the software. Many years back, after I got my first machine, I spent days upon weeks watching video tutorials. Downloading and running simple jobs. Making sure my machine was calibrated properly. Learn the basics of how to tram your spindle (if that applies). Doing test cuts on different pieces of scrap wood to understand and familiarize myself with the speeds and settings for different types of wood. Downloading the vectric free projects and disecting them to understand the total project and other folks settings compared to my machine.

As others have said, its easy to get caught up into jumping into complex projects, but you would be so much better off taking baby steps into both learning your machine and also the software to create and run the projects.

Leo
Vectric Wizard

Post by Leo »

I will take a different approach here.

We learn. We learn by making mistakes. We learn by doing it wrong. We learn by way of filling the dumpster with scrap. We learn by breaking cutters.

I do hope that you make a LOT of scrap and make a LOT more mistakes.

I can tell you surely - I have made FAR more scrap and broken FAR more cutters than you have.

KEEP ON - KEEPING ON

You are learning my friend - you are learning and THAT is how we get good at in. It is painful and it is discouraging - but - DON'T quit

Quitters never win and winners never quit!!!