Found a cool project but it's the wrong file type

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Opa Russ
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity Woodworker X50

Found a cool project but it's the wrong file type

Post by Opa Russ »

Greetings,

Relatively new VCarve Pro user here. I was poking around in the Vectric website and stumbled across a "free monthly project" that I thought was just the thing to try out my cnc on 3D carving. This is the project:
https://www.vectric.com/vectric-communi ... sKeyHolder
The files are made in Aspire but I don't see any reason why VCarve Pro couldn't handle this project unless I'm mistaken. Is there a way to convert the files from .crv3d to v3m or even stl or am I out of luck on this one?

Thanks
Russ

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: Found a cool project but it's the wrong file type

Post by FixitMike »

The free trail version of Aspire can save a 2D version that VCarve can open. Use Save As .crv. Any 3D information will be lost. I'm afraid that for this file it will loose too much.

I've asked this question of Vectric for a different file, and the answer was "No". If a project is designed to demonstrate Aspire capabilities, they will not make it available in a form suitable for VCarve.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Opa Russ
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity Woodworker X50

Post by Opa Russ »

Ah, well I suppose that's reasonable considering they are in the business of selling software.

Thanks for the reply Mike. I guess I'll look elsewhere.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Opa Russ wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:58 pm
Ah, well I suppose that's reasonable considering they are in the business of selling software.

Thanks for the reply Mike. I guess I'll look elsewhere.
Prior to V8 it was never a question that got asked because Vcarve had no 3D toolpathing capability & didn't come with any 3D models :lol: :lol: You would have to do any toolpathing in a different program (can't remember the name) & then import the toolpaths :lol: :lol:
The monthly projects are often geared towards a certain feature of the software especially after the release of a new version & a selling tool ( I think) rather than just a free project for people to cut :lol: :lol:
The trial version will allow you to complete some of the Aspire projects but I am not sure which ones & how many of them, might be worth a try though.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

I kind of like that project too!

I have the Aspire Trial Version and have downloaded the project just to see what all I could salvage using the Trial Version to save .crv files. And as has been mentioned previously there is a loss of all 3D information (models, etc...) But beings that I have access to other modeling software I have been able to replicate the project for my own use. I am one of those individuals who has not seen a warrant in the cost of upgrading to Aspire until now (possibly). :|

Let me explain a bit here: Even when going through all of the above processes to create a usable project I still found that V-Carve Pro is limited. You can only import one(1) THIRD PARTY model. This particular project required four LOCK MODELS to be carved together to be applied to the KEYS PLAQUE hence a setback of carving one(1) lock model at a time in V-Carve Pro.

So maybe it is time to bite the bullet and upgrade to Aspire!!! :wink:

Anyhow here is a visual representation of the models I created for my KEYS PLAQUE Project.
Screenshot 2022-04-28 113314.png
I am still not satisfied with my first locks choice of graphics though!!! :roll:

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.005

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I have the Aspire Trial Version and have downloaded the project just to see what all I could salvage using the Trial Version to save .crv files.

Did you try saving any toolpaths with the trial version? I know that it is possible to complete some of the projects with the trial version but no idea how many of them & which ones. It may be restricted to certain times or events such as Christmas :lol: :lol:

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The projects that work with the free trial versions are listed here

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

martin54 wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:45 pm
I have the Aspire Trial Version and have downloaded the project just to see what all I could salvage using the Trial Version to save .crv files.

Did you try saving any toolpaths with the trial version? I know that it is possible to complete some of the projects with the trial version but no idea how many of them & which ones. It may be restricted to certain times or events such as Christmas :lol: :lol:
No, I did not try to save any of the toolpaths. Actually I did not even think about the toolpaths due to the fact I was just attempting to recover as much of the vectors, layers, etc.... for my re-creation trial of the said project.

I will be going back to the trial version again to verify some other things I have come across and I will attempt to see what toolpaths I can save either as a toolpath template or as individual toolpaths.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 12.005

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

As a further update to my progress --

I have been able to retrieve the toolpaths from the Aspire Trial Version of the noted project by saving them as a toolpath template file. I have not yet imported that toolpath template into the new V-Carve Pro file I am creating for this project. In fact, I am still looking for suitable graphics for my first lock!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 12.005

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Finally found a graphic that I have found suitable for the first lock in my project re-creation of the Keys Plaque Project in V-Carve Pro.

Here is the modeled results of the Keys Plaque Project in which I am now assembling all the details into V-Carve Pro Version 11.013.
Screenshot 2022-04-29 181439.png
Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 12.005