Restrict 3D Finish DOC

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
jenordyke
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: OneFinity

Restrict 3D Finish DOC

Post by jenordyke »

I may have carved myself into a corner. I created toolpaths for a lake map using topo data from Terrain2STL, and everything looked fine on preview/simulation - the roughing pass would cut to a depth of .5 inches, (1/4 end mill), and the finish pass would cut to .512 inches, well within the capacity of the 1/8 ball nose I selected for the finish pass. I started the rough cut and turned my attention elsewhere in the shop until it was done. What I have found is that there were places where the topography is so steep, the 1/4 end mill couldn't get iall the way in there, and instead of only needing to remove .012 with my 1/8 ball nose, there are places where it is going to have to cut as much as .375 in a single pass, which is a no-go of course.

What can I do to introduce some kind of intermediate finish pass? I vaguely recall a discussion long ago about temporarily adding an additional flat component and juggling its' height, but...vague...can't find it.... Suggestions warmly invited....

Custom carving
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: next wave shark 520

Re: Restrict 3D Finish DOC

Post by Custom carving »

If you have a 1/16 in end mill it may help you with this problem. I have never done anything like what you are doing but I have used it with success when I was doing stacked text. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. You might also try a 1/4 in ball nose.. I'm just guessing but tell us how it turns out
I try to learn something every day

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Note: with Aspire there are simpler methods.

With VCarve, to see areas where only the smaller tool would cut set up both tools using the 3D finish toolpath. For each toolpath generated select a different, contrasting toolpath color. In the example below I assigned green to the 0.25" end mill and magenta to the 0.125" ballnose.
Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 8.21.25 PM.png
Save the preview image. Delete the finish toolpaths.

In another session of VCarve import the preview image and use Trace Bitmap to create vectors around the smaller tool areas (magenta).
Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 8.38.11 PM.png
After some cleanup save the vectors. (I like .AI format)

In your original VCarve with the 3D file set up a 3D roughing with the 0.25" end mill and you normally would.

Now import the saved vectors into your project and align them with your model. Adjust as needed.

Use these vectors as the boundaries for a 3D roughing with the 0.125" ball nose bit. This use the pass depth on the ballnose bit to make multiple passes in the defined areas.
Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 8.59.01 PM.png
Set up your 3D Finish toolpath as normal.
Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 9.04.34 PM.png
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

wilkigr
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Sienci Long Mill

Post by wilkigr »

I'm not putting this out as a solution. I'm really only adding to your question. I hope you don't mind.

Why can't the solution be to create another roughing pass with the smaller bit? Using the roughing pass, you can select the pass depth of each cut in the bit parameters, so you could select a pass depth that the smaller bit could handle. I realize that you will be cutting a lot of air, and that may be the problem with my "solution", but as I am learning and don't particularly mind displaying my level of ignorance, I thought I would ask.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Why can't the solution be to create another roughing pass with the smaller bit?
That is what my solution does. The extra vectors are to avoid a lot of air cutting.
- Randall Newcomb

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Not sure about V-Carve but, with version 11 of Aspire you can add an extra clearance bit in the finish toolpath.
Steve

wilkigr
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Sienci Long Mill

Post by wilkigr »

Understood. Sorry that I missed that, Randall.

Custom carving
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Custom carving »

SteveNelson46 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:13 pm
Not sure about V-Carve but, with version 11 of Aspire you can add an extra clearance bit in the finish toolpath.
I have added extra tools in PRO

Custom carving
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Custom carving »

Randall,
Did you carve that piece or was that something you just mocked up for an example..... it was a beautiful carving. Some day I want to be to that level but I would assume that was done in aspire. Heck I cant even afford to upgrade to pro 11 right now

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Did you carve that piece or was that something you just mocked up for an example
This was just an example.

FYI I submitted a feature request to support@vectri.com to add support for multiple tools in the 3D Roughing toolpath similar to what exists for 3D Finish.
- Randall Newcomb

jenordyke
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: OneFinity

Post by jenordyke »

Thanks, all. I also finally found the previous discussion regarding use of a temporary additional component merged to accomplish similar. I am going to experiment with this...see what you think.....
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=31997&p=231701&hil ... ss#p231701