Getting into a flap over fine sanding!

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
BigC
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

Getting into a flap over fine sanding!

Post by BigC »

I would like to talk about small 3M Scotch-Brite Radial flap Discs for finishing projects. Getting rid of the so-called fuzzies that can be a bane of a special project. These little things have been touted for a long time by various folks as a good way of achieving a nice finish to a particular intricate carving where you can't get into by hand with the sandpaper.
Any thoughts on what I should be stocking up on, what grits are the most used, and the longevity of these little disks, do they wear out quickly etc,etc,etc...Are there cheaper or better alternatives?

All help on this topic including your experiences is most appreciated.
PS links to the actual products you use would be a bonus.

Regards
C

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: Getting into a flap over fine sanding!

Post by gkas »

This is my go to... The bristle disks work like nothing else. I like the yellow, 80 grit.
Rio Grande has a pretty good price, last I looked. Don't forget a spindle.

https://www.riogrande.com/product/3m-1- ... low/332593

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 12.004

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

I agree on the 3M bristle disks, with a couple of caveats.

You can ruin an edge quickly if not careful. That has more to do with my handling of the variable-speed Dremel extension than the disk.

Also, the diameter of the disk vs. the length of the mandrel vs. the layout of the part is sometimes challenging.

Generally speaking, its my go-to tool for smaller areas. I tend to use 3 disks stacked, but they tend to spread out on the mandrel when the screw is tightened. I use a single disk for tight pockets/grooves. Works a treat!

And, of course, I'm only using it because someone here on the forum was nice enough to recommend it to me! :)
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Sanding mops work pretty good too ( in most cases). Carvewright has one for about $35.00.

https://www.carvewright.com/accessories ... ding-mops/
Steve

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Try a search on the forum, something that has been talked about quite a bit over the years so there is already a wealth of info on the subject :lol: :lol: :lol:
For me there is no one way to remove fuzzies & clean up a job, so many different factors to consider. Sometimes you can avoid them simply by cutting in a different direction or some people have said that running the toolpath a second time will help get rid of them, that is something I have never tried.
I normally start off with a wire brush, have different sized brushes in nylon, brass & steel bristles & use the one that is right for the wood I am carving, steel can be to aggressive for some types of wood. You can buy a cheap set of 3 from lots of different places.
I also use rotary disks like the 3m ones mentioned, needle files, bits of stick with sandpaper stuck to them, the list goes on :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aussie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Robotics Model 8

Post by Aussie »

Yep all the recommendations below and works out ok.
I have a sand carver arriving in the next few weeks and want to try it on very low pressure and see how it handles the fuzzies, will report back if it works out ok.
Ron
Crafers Crafts

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Aussie wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:07 am
Yep all the recommendations below and works out ok.
I have a sand carver arriving in the next few weeks and want to try it on very low pressure and see how it handles the fuzzies, will report back if it works out ok.
Oh looking forward to seeing how you get on with that, I have a sand blaster but never tried removing fuzzies with it, generally been used for cleaning, etching or polishing depending on what media I put in :lol: :lol: :lol: