Newbie needs helps with machine zero / datum

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
NuthinFancy
Model of CNC Machine: Avid Pro 48x48

Newbie needs helps with machine zero / datum

Post by NuthinFancy »

I'm comfortable in SketchUp, but new to VCarve Pro and relating what's ion the screen in VCarve (VC) to my machine (Avid Pro 4848).
Just finished getting the machine running. When Mach 4 zeroes the X, Y, and Z axes, the spindle is near the front left corner of the machine, which I understand to be a commonly used location for the machine home or datum position.

At this point, the center of the spindle is about 0.25" inside the edge of my spoilboard for both X and Y.
Back in VC, if I put the lower left corner of Sheet1 at 0, 0, how do I deal with this difference?
I tried using an offset for Sheet1, but that became confusing very quickly when attempting to draw anything based off zero in VC.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple here, but haven't been able to figure it out yet.
Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
nf
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

Todd D
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8 PRO V5

Re: Newbie needs helps with machine zero / datum

Post by Todd D »

I scribed a line with the cnc at 0Y and at 0X and line the sheet up with that, then its the same as it is in VCarve.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Why not change the XY datum in the control software so it does align with the corner of the spoilboard?

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I don't know if there are any tutorials for mach4 the same as there were for mach3 but if there are then watch the tutorials about co-ordinate systems, if there isn't one for mach4 then just watch the mach3 tutorial, it will explain things better than I can :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why not change the XY datum in the control software so it does align with the corner of the spoilboard?

That wouldn't be an option on my machine Adrian since the table extends past the hard stops. Unless you mean that the OP reduces the spoilboard size.

NuthinFancy
Model of CNC Machine: Avid Pro 48x48

Re: Newbie needs helps with machine zero / datum - SOLVED

Post by NuthinFancy »

Thanks to all for the suggestions and hints.

I solved the issue (for me at least) by shifting (offsetting) the work area by the amount in X and Y that differs from the machine datum.
This is a one-off task for me as I'm working on the spoilboard, but the knowledge will come in handy again, I'm sure.

@marint54 - I will be availing myself of coordinate system lessons. Ta!

nf
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

Bob T
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD 520

Post by Bob T »

From my long ago precision metal machining background, I found that using pins (3 only) on the x and y axes allows for great repeatability and precision when locating a part to be machined. I used my control software to drill and space several holes along each axis. Pins should be a tight fit. Use only 2 pins on one axis and 1 on the other depending on lengths and widths of your work. This will compensate for any slight irregularity in your workpiece. Do not put a pin at the very corner.
Hope this helps.
Bob T

Kevin Jenness
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR48

Post by Kevin Jenness »

My machine uses wincnc. I set a "home position" at my spoilboard corner and typically use that as the origin for projects.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Kevin Jenness wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:35 pm
My machine uses wincnc. I set a "home position" at my spoilboard corner and typically use that as the origin for projects.
Me too!. Most of my projects are small and I usually screw the project to the spoilboard so I use offsets for the X and Y. so each project isn't screwed to the same position. Z-zero is always set to the surface of the spoilboard and. unless I surface the spoilboard, Z-zero is always the same but I still check it before each project.
Steve