Filet or rounded outside and inside corners?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Robroy
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ Pacer 5010

Filet or rounded outside and inside corners?

Post by Robroy »

Good day Vectric users! I have a question, I am trying to cut the sharp edges away and put a radius in their places so that we can put a edge trim around the corners. is there a way to select two points and add a radius to them? So, for an example If the inside of the letter "A" (outside too separately) I want to round out the 3 points. How can I do this quickly?

Thanks in advance!

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: Filet or rounded outside and inside corners?

Post by FixitMike »

The fillet tool.
Also, you can use the Inlay toolpath if it is a pocket or profile you are looking for..
Or, you can offset once outwards, twice inwards, and then once outwards by an amount equal to the radius desired.(Delete Original)

Note: These methods only work on corners that occur on a single vector. I've not sure what is meant by "two points".
Text first must be converted to curves.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Robroy
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Robroy »

Thank you for the response. As far as usin g the fillet tool in vcarve, the fillet tool will not work on all corners. I do not know why. I have changed the fillet radii to many different numbers to see if it helped and it did not. Is there a way to use fillet tool on all inner and outside corners?

In regards to two points, there are programs out there that I can point to two points on intersecting lines and it will draw a radius to connect those two points and then you would snip the sharp corner away.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

the fillet tool will not work on all corners. I do not know why.
Can you upload a .CRV file that is giving you troubles?

Here is a link to the FAQ describing how to upload your file. (How do I upload files or photos to the forum?)

If the file is too large to upload here you can use a file sharing site such as drive.google.com, onedrive.com, or dropbox.com. They all have free accounts available
  • Upload the file to the file sharing site
  • Make the link shareable
  • Share the link to the file here
For screenshots please use the Windows Snipping tool. These are far easier to read than photos taken with your phone.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Robroy
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Robroy »

Randall, I did not save the file. I just copied something and went to work on it. So, in an effort to do it again I created a new file and simply did a text file. No points worked... So, that made me think that it was because the objects were grouped. I ungrouped the letters and now I can do as expected. I am going to assume that the file that I was attempting to work with had objects grouped together.

Thanks for the help again.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

The fillet tool will not work if there are additional nodes on the part of a vector that would be replaced by the fillet. There can only be the corner node.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.