Finished toolpaths show pitting

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
makerjeff
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko Pro

Finished toolpaths show pitting

Post by makerjeff »

Not sure what's causing this, but when I completed work on this design, the toolpath preview shows pitting in the image. Will this carve this way on my CNC, or is this just some sort of artifact? How do I get rid of this? I'm supposed to show this proof to a customer, and well, it doesn't look good. I can post the VCarve file somewhere if some wants to take a look. It seems to be happening in the 3d finish toolpath.

Thanks!

Jeff
Attachments
Flag with pits.jpg

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 12.004

Re: Finished toolpaths show pitting

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

makerjeff wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:54 am
It seems to be happening in the 3d finish toolpath.
Jeff, under Toolpaths choose a higher Preview Simulation Quality, reset your preview and redo your preview to see if those are artifacts.

With the 3D preview showing, you can select/check your toolpath to see how your bit is moving along the path. The red shows rapid movements; the green shows where the bit is cutting.

Most likely you have extraneous vectors that the toolpath is having to follow and creates those anomalies.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

It is always best to post a copy of your.crv file provided there is no copyright material within it. By posting the file eliminates a lot of guessing on the forum members who wish to help diagnose the problem issue.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

If those "pit" marks are showing up in the preview then they are in the model. My guess is that it is a very low resolution model.

Nothing to do with tool paths.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

makerjeff

Post by makerjeff »

Thanks for all the responses. I didn't originally include the file because the server said it was too big. So I've added to my Google drive and the link to the file is below. Download it and see if you can find where I'm messing up on this if you care to.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gnsL13 ... sp=sharing

Thanks again!

Jeff

makerjeff

Post by makerjeff »

I managed to get rid of all the artifacts now and no longer have this issue. Thanks to everyone who helped and responded!!!

Y'all are awesome!

Jeff

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

How did you fix the problem? We deserve to know so we don't repeat what you did.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

makerjeff

Post by makerjeff »

Hey Mike, the bitmap i imported into the circle on the flag was pretty low resolution. I made a high resolution image, imported it and it rendered fine without any noise. I also maxed out the modeling resolution on the Job Setup page.

AboveCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: i2r B22

Post by AboveCreations »

Hi Jeff. I think your project is really nice and I downloaded it to take a peek. I hope the model isn't copyright because I'd like to use it in something I may like to play with in the future. I am a veteran and I can see that being useful in other projects. If it is protected, then I won't do that and delete the files. Also, what kind of wood are you planning to carve this? I sure would like to see the final results. My machine toolpath time is showing almost 8 hours to rough that. Yikes. lol.

makerjeff

Post by makerjeff »

Hi, not copyrighted, but I did pay for the original flag design, not trying to be a jerk, but I'll let you handle it the way you see fit.

I'm carving it in red oak. 11x21 inches and 1.125 inches thick. I run a conservative stepover on each tool, so that eats up more time. It carves a nice flag though.

Here's where I got the original design: https://www.etsy.com/shop/McKinneyWoodshop

Have a good one,
Jeff

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Hi, not copyrighted, but I did pay for the original flag design, not trying to be a jerk, but I'll let you handle it the way you see fit.

I'm in the UK so haven't checked your download link but if you haven't already then as you have paid for some of the artwork it might be a good idea to remove the file especially now you have solved your original problem :lol: :lol:

AboveCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: i2r B22

Post by AboveCreations »

makerjeff wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:29 pm

I'm carving it in red oak. 11x21 inches and 1.125 inches thick. I run a conservative stepover on each tool, so that eats up more time. It carves a nice flag though.

Here's where I got the original design: https://www.etsy.com/shop/McKinneyWoodshop

Have a good one,
Jeff
Ok. Thanks for sharing where you got the source. I purchased a CNC 3D model package off ebay that has over 40 models. One model happens to be a USA waving flag. The author and seller is a guy in the Ukraine.