Job cut off on right side.

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Crafty Krafcky
Model of CNC Machine: LongMill

Job cut off on right side.

Post by Crafty Krafcky »

Hello -
I recently began using VCarve Desktop, and have a dilemma that I was hoping someone could shed some light on. I'll try to be as detailed as possible, but please forgive me if I leave something out.

1. I created a drawing with a stock size of 24.9375" x 11" x .75" ( a US flag with some other details).
2. The drawing is perfectly centered within the stock area.
3. I checked that the XY Datum position is set to use the lower left corner and that the 'Use Offset' is unticked.
4. I calculated all of my toolpaths and things look good.
5. I then saved the toolpaths with the appropriate post processor (In my case it is Grbl inches).
6. I took the code to my CNC machine (LongMill 30x30) and opened it in GSender.
7. I set up my stock and zero'd everything according to best practices (in my case XY (lower left) and Z (top of stock lower left).
8. I pressed play.
9. The milling operation starts off looking good (at least on the left side of the piece), but as it has to do anything with the right side it things that the job is wider than what it is so it effectively tries to mill something that isn't there and subsequently cutting off the right portion of my job. The height looks good though.

Is there something wrong with the code being generated?
Is there possibly something wrong with the program (GSender)? I tried with UGS as well and the same thing happens.
I wouldn't think that there is something wrong with the CNC machine itself, but being so new to this, I could be wrong.

Any help and guidance is greatly appreciated.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: Job cut off on right side.

Post by TReischl »

Crafty Krafcky wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:45 pm
Is there something wrong with the code being generated?

The possibility is less than slim. Think about it for a bit. Literally thousands of users are creating programs every day. The forum would be flooded with posts about an issue like this.

Is there possibly something wrong with the program (GSender)? I tried with UGS as well and the same thing happens.

No clue, but also highly unlikely. Usually an issue with sending programs into a machine control result in an error.

I wouldn't think that there is something wrong with the CNC machine itself, but being so new to this, I could be wrong.

You may not think there is something wrong with the machine, but you actually have no real reason to believe there is nothing wrong. If you were to browse through posts similar to this (machine going to wonky places where it shouldn't) you would discover that 99.9% of them are caused by operator error or issues with the machine. Operator error can be things like too high of a feedrate, resulting in lost steps, bottoming or topping out an axis (hitting a hard stop), etc. Machine issues are usually things like loose mechanical connections, etc.

Any help and guidance is greatly appreciated.
I have been doing this for over 40 years now. We all have a tendency to put the finger at what we cannot see. We can see the machine, but we cannot see what is going on in the software. So it is easy to point the finger at that which we cannot see.

One thing that works really well for figuring out things like this is being able to read a bit of gcode. Take a look at the XY values, are they within the limits of the job you are doing? My bet would be that they are. A lot of folks just like to announce "gcode is just gibberish to me!!!!" Well, they are running a machine that uses it, and if they do not get a rudimentary grasp of what it is they are at a huge disadvantage when an issue arises. You do not need to know all the gcodes for a problem like this, all you need to understand is that G1 moves the machine to a position, G2, G3 cut arcs. G0 moves the machine to a position at rapid rate. It is not rocket science.

So take a good look at your gcode, make sure it is within bounds, then you can start looking at the sender or the machine itself.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

See the the LongMill support site "Common Issues & Fixes": https://resources.sienci.com/view/lm-troubleshooting/

sections: "My machine is not moving the correct amount" and "My cuts are not coming out accurately"

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by ohiolyons »

Doesn't desktop have a 24" limit?
Untitled.jpg
Last edited by ohiolyons on Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

Crafty Krafcky

Post by Crafty Krafcky »

ohiolyons wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:06 pm
Doesn't desktop have a 24" limit?
No, it is 25"

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

Not what their website says
Untitled.jpg
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

Crafty Krafcky wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:45 pm
4. I calculated all of my toolpaths and things look good.
Did you run the preview simulation?
Did it cut right?
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

Could it be material size is 25x25 and job size limited to 24x 24?

Downloaded Desktop trial and it let me cut a profile 24.25" wide square on 25" stock.
Preview simulation showed entire profile cut.
I would have expected the right hand edge of the profile not to be cut in the simulation.

If OP could make the flag smaller than 24 it might save a bunch of trouble shooting.

Vectric why does it show the cut being made successfully when it exceeds the maximum job size of 24x24?
I've heard it on this forum and have said it many times "If the preview looks right, then it is something else."
Why doesn't the simulation get cut off when the toolpath exceeds the maximum job size of 24?
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

ohiolyons wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:18 pm

Vectric why does it show the cut being made successfully when it exceeds the maximum job size of 24x24?
I've heard it on this forum and have said it many times "If the preview looks right, then it is something else."
Why doesn't the simulation get cut off when the toolpath exceeds the maximum job size of 24?
John, I do it all the time. Design a program that exceeds the material settings. Did it yesterday, was doing an elliptical cut on the end of a small board, needed to ramp in and out, so those vectors were outside the bounds of the material.

As for the simulation? Well, it only shows the actual material size, so it gets "cut off" since there is no material there to show being cut, so I am not sure what you mean by that?

I sure as heck would not want the Vectric Team to fix that!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

If you're using desktop and create a toolpath that exceeds the limits of the product then it won't let you save the toolpath so that won't be the issue as the OP says he saved the toolpaths and cut the job on the machine.

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

What I meant, maybe I wasn't clear enough.
clear.jpg
If my vector is 24.9 and max job size is 24x24 why did the simulation show it cutting succefully?
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

Crafty Krafcky

Post by Crafty Krafcky »

ohiolyons wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:53 pm
clear.jpg

If my vector is 24.9 and max job size is 24x24 why did the simulation show it cutting succefully?
All, see my attached screenshot regarding size limits.
Attachments
Snippet1.png
Snippet2.png
Snippet3.png
Snippet4.png

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Ahhh, I see, I forget about the job size limit over there in V Carve. . . . ..

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

ohiolyons wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:53 pm
clear.jpg

You can create a job and a toolpath any size you want in Desktop and preview it. As I say saving the toolpaths is another matter.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

First thing I would do is check the link adze_cnc posted, how much time did you spend calibrating the machine to ensure all axis were cutting accurately before you started to cut any files?
As others have asked does the toolpath preview look good when you run it :lol: :lol: