Multiple tools for 2D Profile Toolpath?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Onetrack
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

Multiple tools for 2D Profile Toolpath?

Post by Onetrack »

Hi all, sorry if this is a basic question, but I'd like to run multiple tools when "cutting outside" using a 2D Profile Toolpath, however VCarve Pro v10.515 does not offer this. "Multiple tools" only seems to work for Pocketing Toolpaths. Is that right and if so, why, since it seems a bit strange! Thank you.
The more I learn the more I forget.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Multiple tools for 2D Profile Toolpath?

Post by Adrian »

Why would you want to do that? I can't think of a circumstance where it would be needed so it would seem strange to me if it was there rather than not.

Onetrack
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Onetrack »

I'm trying to cut out this gear, but the tool (1/8") is too large for the toolpath. I don't want to use a smaller tool (1/16") to cut out the whole thing since it would likely be a very slow operation.
Profile Toolpath for gear.jpg

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

You are still going to have to use the 1/16 tool.

The worst part of it is that the 1/16 tool is still going to cut full width no matter what you do.

It is what it is.

I do not see any advantage to what you would like to see the software do. :::::shrug:::::

All that said, you could define separate toolpaths for the 1/16 tool and rough out with the 1/8 leaving, followed by a clean up pass with the 1/16th. No matter how you cut the mustard this is not going to be fast.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Onetrack
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Onetrack »

Thanks yes I realise I will have to use the 1/16" tool. However, I'm cutting lots to parts out and I'd like to minimise the time using the 1/16" tool. I think your suggestion is the best option, thanks.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

It's possible. There's just no one-click way of doing it. You'll have to create the vectors, setup two toolpaths . Getting a smooth finish with no stepping could be difficult given the different pass depths and possible bit deflection with a bit that small.

Onetrack
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Onetrack »

Its a shame you can't use nested toolpaths.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

I don't think you are going to save much time futzing around with two tools, developing paths, trying to get them nice and smooth, etc. Might waste more time trying to save time than you actually end up saving.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

I do similar things like this quite often.
  • first toolpath cut almost all the way through the material (e.g. material thickness less your tab thickness) with an "allowance offset" of a small amount ( 0.006 inch say). This will be sheared off by the second bit
  • second toolpath cut all the way thorough the material
The second toolpath's bit can often have a larger stepdown than usual as for the most part it is just shearing off the "allowance offset" above and it's going into small corners where there is less material to cut away.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

To further expand on Adrian's post:
You can do a hack version of rest machining so the 1/16” tool will clean up only where the 1/8” tool won’t reach.
1. Offset the vector to be cut outward about 1/4”, or more if necessary to remove areas that can’t be reached by a 1/8” cutter cutting on the inside.
2. Add a virtual end mill .002” diameter to your tool list. It can have a pass depth equal to the total profile depth, and a 50% stepover. It won’t actually be used.
3. Select the original vector and the offset vector for a pocket toolpath cut. For this pocket toolpath use 3 tools, the .002”, 1/16”, and 1/8”. Be sure to include some (3D) tabs so the part doesn't move between toolpaths. Calculate.
4. Select original vector and calculate a Profile toolpath outside using the 1/8” tool.
5. Cut the Profile Toolpath.
6. Cut the 1/16” pocket toolpath. (Clear2) This should clean up the areas the 1/8” tool can’t reach. Do not use the .002” or 1/8” pocket toolpaths.
How this works: First, the profile toolpath cuts most of the periphery. Then, for the pocket toolpath, when more than one tool is used, the last cleanup cut includes the smallest tool running around all the edges to clean up any marks left by the larger tools. This will be what the .002” diameter tool does. It is included in the toolpath list so the 1/16” diameter does not waste time cleaning up the entire periphery, but it is not actually used. The 1/16” diameter toolpath leaves a small amount for this cleanup, but it will be less than .001”.
An example:
Rest machining example.crv
(241.5 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Last edited by FixitMike on Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Onetrack
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Onetrack »

Profile 1.59mmEM.jpg
Profile 3.18mmEM.jpg
Profile both.jpg
I might try this...
I've added a circle and then placed vectors to cut around that circle, using a 1/16" profile cut.

cut times
1/8 (3.18mm) 18s
1/6 (1.59mm) 1.53s

worth a try!

Onetrack
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Onetrack »

Thanks adze_cnc and thanks Mike for the file, I will take a look at both methods...!

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Curious Mike? Since I do not have the latest version I cannot load the file and am way too lazy to duplicate what you did. . . . How do the cut times compare to just cutting it out with the 1/16th end mill?

Also, if there is not an auto tool changer then changing tools and re zeroing need to be factored in.

BTW, that is a pretty slick technique!

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

TReischl wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:14 pm
Curious Mike? Since I do not have the latest version I cannot load the file and am way too lazy to duplicate what you did. . . . How do the cut times compare to just cutting it out with the 1/16th end mill?

Also, if there is not an auto tool changer then changing tools and re zeroing need to be factored in.

BTW, that is a pretty slick technique!
The cutting time improvement depends entirely on the details of the part. The longer the profile distance, the greater the savings.
OP wants to use 2 tools. Using only the smallest takes too much time. He also said there were a lot of parts to be cut. I'm assuming he will cut multiple parts with each setup, so that tool change time per part is less.
Version 9.5 file:
Rest machining example 9.crv
(242 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

FixitMike wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:51 pm

The cutting time improvement depends entirely on the details of the part. The longer the profile distance, the greater the savings.
OP wants to use 2 tools. Using only the smallest takes too much time. He also said there were a lot of parts to be cut. I'm assuming he will cut multiple parts with each setup, so that tool change time per part is less.
Version 9.5 file:Rest machining example 9.crv
Ooops, that is a no go Mike:
Capture.PNG
Well, maybe I will fool around with it a bit this afternoon while the Turkey is cooking. . . .