Multiple tools for 2D Profile Toolpath?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: Multiple tools for 2D Profile Toolpath?

Post by TReischl »

I fiddled around with it for awhile. Got the gear real close to what was shown above (I used a gear generation program).

Here are the paths:
c2.PNG
I made sure that the pocket tool path was only an inner and outer (2 paths total). The tool path for the "rest machining" was as minimal as possible and is a profile.

Here are some particulars:

Cut depth for both tools was .25 deep.

The .125 EM feedrate is 100 ipm, doc was .0625

The .0625 EM feedrate is 50 ipm, doc was .03125 (so essentially half of the larger tool, wanted to make this realistic as possible).

Here are the results:
c1.PNG
So the "rest machining" idea came in at 54 seconds.

The full cut with the small tool resulted in 65 seconds. Ten seconds longer.

In all fairness the feedrates are nothing more than a guess. Might be possible to run the .125 a lot faster and the .0625 may have to run slower. No way of knowing that unless I actually cut the part. But my instinct says that I am not all that far off, maybe a little fast on the small tool. . . . .

Then there is a further complication, a true finish cut all the way around when using the "rest machining" technique. That depends on how good these parts have to look. If one is required it would blow the "rest machining" technique all to heck and gone.

Not saying which way is better, but I sure would not fiddle around trying to get it running consistently unless I was making a boat load of these parts. And. . . ., if I were doing that, I might start thinking of farming it out to a laser cutter.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Onetrack
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

Post by Onetrack »

Mike, your suggestion, sample and detailed description are especially generous and ingenious! Thanks everyone for your rich input, much appreciated. I'm very wary of using 1/16" bits as they appear so delicate and as a result I don't have many spares... :roll:
The more I learn the more I forget.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Onetrack wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:16 pm
....... I'm very wary of using 1/16" bits as they appear so delicate and as a result I don't have many spares... :roll:
They are not as delicate as you might think. I bought mine on FleaBay, a pack of 10 for some ridiculously low price. Interestingly enough I have not broken one yet. They are metric so not exactly 1/16, a little bit under that.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns