Here's an easy one? Name that Command

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
KevinC
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: WorkBee CNC

Here's an easy one? Name that Command

Post by KevinC »

I am having issues with the bottom of my pockets being uneven and gnarly. I know there is a command or a setting in V-Carve that will cut almost to the edge of the pocket and almost to the bottom of the pocket and then it will take one last pass at a DOC you set in V-Carve. It then goes right up against the edge and all the way down to the bottom of your cut.

What is the name of that command? Once I know the name I can investigate how to use it on my own.

Thanks guys.

First one to post it gets a gold star for the day.

Kevin

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Here's an easy one? Name that Command

Post by Adrian »

Sounds like you're talking about the Last Pass setting that you get to via the Edit Passes button in the toolpath.

There is also the option to have the profile pass run first or last if you're using a raster toolpath.

KevinC
Vectric Apprentice

Post by KevinC »

Ding ding ding I think we have a winner. Thanks Adrian give that man a gold star!!!

The only thing is I'm noticing it's not available in a v-carve clearing toolpath. Hmmmmm. Now I'm going to have to do some re-thinking.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Couple of things that might help with the bottom of your vcarving/engraving toolpath, first thing is to check the tram on your spindle or router, second is to look at your stepover on the larger area clearance bits, a smaller stepover on an endmill can help to give you a better finish on a flat bottom but at a slight cost because it is going to take longer. The other thing is to make sure you are using bottom cutting endmills :lol: :lol:

KevinC
Vectric Apprentice

Post by KevinC »

I'm running right with you Martin. I was thinking I could tighten up my step over and see if that would help. And yes I'm using a 1/4" up cut spiral end mill that bottom cuts. I can only imagine the crash an end mill without a bottom cut ability would make. LOL...

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

KevinC wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:14 pm
I'm running right with you Martin. I was thinking I could tighten up my step over and see if that would help. And yes I'm using a 1/4" up cut spiral end mill that bottom cuts. I can only imagine the crash an end mill without a bottom cut ability would make. LOL...
A non bottom cutting endmill would still work especially if it were ramped rather than plunged. if I am wanting a good bottom finish I have found that a stepover between 15 - 25 % works well for me, on deep pocket toolpaths I will actually use 2 different toolpaths, first one set to just short of final depth with the normal step over, the second one with a smaller stepover & starting depth where the first one left off & what ever is needed for full depth. Just output the 2 as one toolpath & it works great :lol: :lol:

KevinC
Vectric Apprentice

Post by KevinC »

I follow you Martin. That would be easy enough. It's basically the same as the last pass command only I have to do two tool paths instead of one. Thanks I'll try that.