Adding King ColorCore to the Preview Materials List

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
01f4irider
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Asteroid

Adding King ColorCore to the Preview Materials List

Post by 01f4irider »

Hello all,

I've been working a lot with king ColorCore lately and I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to add a material with multiple layers of colors to the preview list of materials. I'd also need to be able to set the thickness of each layer. My goal is to be able to figure out exactly how much to set my start depth at depending on which bit I'm using (I use multiple different included angles) by having an accurate preview model. Anybody have any Ideas?
Rick Melendez

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Adding King ColorCore to the Preview Materials List

Post by Adrian »

You can't do it as just a material image as that doesn't have any vertical (z) depth to it.

You can obviously simulate the look by using different toolpath colours but that won't do what you want.

I must admit that I'm struggling a bit to understand why it would really help you with start depths.

If you have a 6mm thick piece and the out layers are 1mm with the inside being 4mm as an example then all the information you need is there in conjunction with the toolpath start depth and cut depth.

If you're doing a v-carve/engrave toolpath, without a flat depth so you don't know how deep it will cut, then you can hover the mouse over the toolpath in the list and it will tell you the maximum cut depth and you can also move the mouse over different areas in the preview and the Z depth will be shown on the status bar.

Hopefully that helps but if there's something I've totally misunderstood that you're trying to do then post some more info and I'm sure there will be ways around it.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

+1 on what Adrian has said, I have a number of engineering laminates & I just keep a notebook or different brands & the thickness of each ply layer.
The ones that I use the most I don't need to look at the notebook anymore :lol: :lol:

I don't tend to do anything like vcarving on these substrates though so maybe that makes a difference :lol:

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 24 X 36 3 Axis

Post by GEdward »

I think what the OP is looking for is an accurate preview of a toolpath cut into a multi-colored layered material. Then, given a good preview, he can determine how deep he needs to make the toolpath in order to achieve the appearance he wants.

I have a similar desire for an accurate preview using Baltic Birch. It would be interesting and useful but I'm thinking that reality might not always agree with the preview given all the variation in staining options.

I'm guessing that ColorCore is a resin or plastic of some sort and its layers and the color of each layer is pretty predictable. But, if, by design, the layers can vary in thickness and the order of colors is variable, I think it would require a whole different approach with the material list parameters to accomplish that.

Ed

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 24 X 36 3 Axis

Post by GEdward »

Perhaps it is something to run past the gadget gurus. My thought would be to have a menu that first, you define the number of layers. Then you define the individual layer thicknesses. And last, you chose a color for each layer from a color pallet complete with a custom color pallet.

I suspect the first hurdle is that the toolpath would have to run within the gadget as opposed to being able to bring the gadget result into the material list. Food for thought though.

Ed

ZipperHead55
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR4Pro+ and AR8Pro+

Post by ZipperHead55 »

Would using the slice feature be of any use for something like this?

Allan