(probably) a simple problem with project toolpath to 3d shape

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
baltor4
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ A2MC

(probably) a simple problem with project toolpath to 3d shape

Post by baltor4 »

Hey guys, sorry if this has been covered. I tried searching and watched a few different tutorials, but am having trouble getting some simple text to conform to a 3d shape. A 24" ruler I made as a prototype for a different project. Whenever I generate the toolpath it assumes the z top to start rather than conforming to the milled portion.

What am I missing?
Attachments
ruler test.crv
my project file
(367.5 KiB) Downloaded 24 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: (probably) a simple problem with project toolpath to 3d shape

Post by Adrian »

Project Toolpath onto 3D model works with 3D models only. A moulding toolpath is not a 3D model.

You would need to create a 3D model of the ruler (with external software as you have VCarve rather than Aspire) and use that.

Alternatively you could make a jig to hold the completed ruler so the portion you want to engrave is horizontal rather than at an angle.

I expect there will be lots of other ideas on how to do this as there is generally multiple ways to do every job with VCarve.

baltor4

Post by baltor4 »

I see, ok thanks. In aspire is there a way to "convert" a molding toolpath to a 3d model I could then project the text onto? I'll upgrade if that makes it easier. I'm only familiar with sketchup

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

In Aspire you can make a 3D model directly in various ways with a shape like that (a sweep would be easiest) and you can even create a model directly from a toolpath preview.

You can download the trial and see what you can do before having to part with any cash.

baltor4

Post by baltor4 »

Thanks for the quick replies! Thats awesome! I imported a simple stl from sketchup just to see how it works, and it did exactly as you said. I'll do some research into aspire. Loving vcarve pro in general, and I appreciate this forum.

Jon