Setting start depth

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
tommymangoes
Model of CNC Machine: Stepcraft Q.408

Setting start depth

Post by tommymangoes »

Hi everyone - still learning much about VCarve Pro and have a question on setting the start depth using the engraving toolpath. If I have already used a 3d finishing toolpath with the machining limit boundary set to material boundary, how do I know what the start depth should then be when I do the engraving toolpath after the 3d finishing toolpath has completed?

tommymangoes
Model of CNC Machine: Stepcraft Q.408

Re: Setting start depth

Post by tommymangoes »

thanks!!

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Set your engraving toolpath up in the same way you would if it were on the material surface with no 3D component, towards the bottom of the form is a box you need to check "project onto 3D model" can't remember for sure but I think you need the see advanced toolpath box to be checked :lol: :lol:

Sorry, the first reply wasn't correct for what you want, brain wasn't working great so I deleted the post, it's useful info though so worth reading :lol: :lol:

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 24 X 36 3 Axis

Post by GEdward »

If I am reading the OP correctly, I believe what he is asking is how do you Z zero the engraving tool on the material surface when the top has been machined away by the previous operation. If that is what he is asking then there are two solutions that I can think of. First, you could Z zero this project from the machine bed instead of the material surface. The other way would be to make a separate piece of material the exact same thickness of the project material and zero off of that. If I misread the question then my apologies.

Ed

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

GEdward wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:04 pm
If I am reading the OP correctly, I believe what he is asking is how do you Z zero the engraving tool on the material surface when the top has been machined away by the previous operation. If that is what he is asking then there are two solutions that I can think of. First, you could Z zero this project from the machine bed instead of the material surface. The other way would be to make a separate piece of material the exact same thickness of the project material and zero off of that. If I misread the question then my apologies.

Ed
Funny enough that was my first reply & I linked to a recent thread about it for a 3D finish pass, the OP saw that post before I deleted it, having read the post again I wasn't sure if the answer I gave was correct so deleted the first post & wrote the one you can see :lol: :lol:
This was the linked post where adze_cnc did a good job of explaining

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=38690&p=281970&hil ... ro#p281970

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

There's a supplemental to that link here: viewtopic.php?p=282024#p282024 that tries to be a bit more detailed.