Bad G-Code Broken Bit

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
mrramsey1969
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre Pro404

Bad G-Code Broken Bit

Post by mrramsey1969 »

I will preface this by stating that I am a new user... Here is what happened. I just started cutting some drawer parts, I had reviewed all of the vectors and tool paths multiple times. My tooling was correct albeit cutting a bit on the conservative side while I learn. Upon initiating the g-code program start in WinCnc the bit immediately snapped. I did some digging to figure out the problem using the G-Wizard Editor and it was right there on line 4.

Code: Select all

G90
G0 Z2.0000
M50
S4
M3
G4X4
G0 X0.0000 Y0.0000
F350 XY

The spindle speed was set at 4. All I did was load the tool from the database which was set to 18000. Has anyone else ever encountered this issue?

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Bad G-Code Broken Bit

Post by adze_cnc »

What post processor did you use to save the g-code?

mrramsey1969

Post by mrramsey1969 »

I only have one to choose from but it's the "ShopSabre m5 Arcs (inch)"
adze_cnc wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:21 pm
What post processor did you use to save the g-code?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Double check your tool settings. As long as you're running the default post processor of that name the code for the speed is directly resolved from the spindle speed of the chosen tool. I've tested it with 18000 and that's what it puts in the file.

mrramsey1969

Post by mrramsey1969 »

Adrian wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:43 pm
Double check your tool settings. As long as you're running the default post processor of that name the code for the speed is directly resolved from the spindle speed of the chosen tool. I've tested it with 18000 and that's what it puts in the file.
I did double check and interestingly enough multiple tools showed the 4 RPM. It's like just it edited the bit at the job level.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

mrramsey1969 wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:22 pm
Adrian wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:43 pm
I did double check and interestingly enough multiple tools showed the 4 RPM. It's like just it edited the bit at the job level.
In the database, toolpath settings or code?

As I say if you're using the standard post processor of that name and the RPM in the toolpath tool settings is set to 18000 I can't see any way you could be getting 4 in the code so if you are then the post processor must have been changed in some way.

The relevant lines in the one supplied with VCarve are as follows so you might want to check yours are the same:

+---------------------------------------------------
+  Commands output at the start of the file
+---------------------------------------------------

begin HEADER

"G90"
"G0 [ZH]"
"[S]"
"M3"
"G4X4"
"G0 [XH] [YH]"
The [S] part is the variable definition for the spindle speed and should as follows at the top of the file

VAR SPINDLE_SPEED = [S|A|S|1.0]

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Can you upload your .CRV to the forum?

Here is a link describing how to upload your file. (How do I upload files or photos to the forum?)

If the file is too large to upload here you can use a file sharing site such as drive.google.com, onedrive.com, or dropbox.com. They all have free accounts available
  • Upload the file to the file sharing site
  • Make the link shareable
  • Share the link to the file here
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Just noticed that I pasted the wrong code. That's what I get for rushing just before I go out for the night. That code was from the W version of the post processor. The correct code is the same with the addition of an M50 before the [S].

I did notice that the correct code has a lowercase s rather than uppercase but it doesn't seem to make any difference with the versions I've tested. What version of VCarve are you using?

As Randall says attaching a CRV file that shows the behaviour you're seeing would be a good step at this stage.