Tool Database and Post Processing info not saving

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Scottbg1
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity CNC

Tool Database and Post Processing info not saving

Post by Scottbg1 »

I tried searching for this problem within the forums but I didn't find anything. If this has already been addressed, please direct me to that conversation and accept my thanks and also my apologies for creating a redundant thread.
I have been using VC-Pro since V.9.5 and have upgraded to V.10 and never experienced this issue until I upgraded to V.11.

Whenever I create a new cutting file (.crv) I have to re-download the Tool Database from the cloud as well as Re-configure the Post Processor info when I want to save Tool Paths.
Sometimes, I can re-open an existing file that I have already saved tool paths for and I still have to re-download info for both, despite the toll path itself being unaffected.
This doesn't occur every time, but more times than not. I've checked the settings to see if there was maybe a new option that I had to enable for retention, but I haven't found anything.
Is this a known bug or do I not have something setup correctly?

Here is my setup:
Windows 10
Shapeoko 3 XXL
I migrated all data from v10.5 to v11 when I installed v11.
I allowed Vcarve to configure my Post Processor via the wizard by choosing from the provided drop down fields.
I do not use Vcarve to transfer toolpaths to my machine. I transfer them manually.
I still have 10.5 installed on my PC, but it's meant to be temporary just to make sure that V.11 was stable. I plan to uninstall it once I am confident V.11 is reliable.
I am connected to V&Co within Vcarve and that remains connected when I open the software each time.

Thanks in advance for any attention to this.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Tool Database and Post Processing info not saving

Post by Adrian »

Never heard of anyone else with an issue like that. Have you tried installing v11 from scratch?

What actually happens when you create a new toolpath and go to select a tool? Does it say the database is out of date or is the database completely missing?

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Are you running the latest update for v11? (Check the top right of your program around the Help menu entry for update notice.) I seem to recall some oddity with online tool storage in very early v11 version.

Scottbg1

Post by Scottbg1 »

Adrian,
I have not reinstalled from scratch. That was on my contingency list, but I thought I would ask here first before doing that.
To be more specific, the inventory of my bits is listed in the database. What is actually missing is the settings and parameters for each bit.
When I redownload the database from the cloud, all of the info is added again and all is well.
In the screen shot, you will see that I have a toolpath open and you'll see the bits I chose previously.
If you look in the database, I have the primary bit highlighted in blue but it's missing the info that is clearly present in the toolpath.
The name of the bit is there, and the notes I included when I added the bit, but the business stuff is missing and Vcarve will not allow me to load a bit without the missing info.
You can see in the tool information that it is prompting me to copy the settings over.

Adze,
I am running the latest. V11.008. I also thought maybe an update would hopefully fix the issue. There is no notification and I also ran the update wizard under the Help menu, but it says everything is up to date.

I am going to uninstall and reinstall and see if that helps.
Coincidentally I am down for a week as just a few minutes ago the 'Z' endstop failed on my machine, so I suddenly have ample time to troubleshoot this. I went ahead and ordered all new proximity switches but it'll take a week to get here.
If the re-install cures the problem, I will report back and mark the thread as solved.
Thanks for the responses.
Attachments
ToolDB.jpg

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Scottbg1 wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:05 pm
If you look in the database, I have the primary bit highlighted in blue but it's missing the info that is clearly present in the toolpath.
Remember that once you add a tool to a toolpath there is no link established between the toolpath and the tool database entry. That is if you edit the spindle speed (for example) in the toolpath it will not be copied over to the database (and vice versa).

Scottbg1

Post by Scottbg1 »

UPDATE:

I uninstalled both versions of Vcarve I had installed (10.5 and 11.008) and reinstalled 11.008 only. For safe measure I even redownloaded the install file for 11.008.
The problem is still there.
I have to redownload my tool database and reconfigure the machine and post-processor after already having done so when I installed the software.
I'll give this thread a day or so, and if no other solutions are suggested I will email Vectric.

Scottbg1

Post by Scottbg1 »

adze_cnc wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:38 pm
Scottbg1 wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:05 pm
Remember that once you add a tool to a toolpath there is no link established between the toolpath and the tool database entry. That is if you edit the spindle speed (for example) in the toolpath it will not be copied over to the database (and vice versa).
Adze,
I am aware of this. My issue isn't with the toolpath entries, it is solely with the Tool Database losing it's settings after I shutdown Vcarve. And also as mentioned, the Machine config disappears as well.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Have you defined tool settings for the material and machine combination you're using? The base tool settings exist at a level above that but for each material/machine combination you have to create the other tool settings the first time you use them.

It might be worth seeing what other combinations are in the drop downs and see if the tool info is in with of those other combos.

As Steven says the fact that the info is present in the toolpath is a bit of a misnomer as there isn't a link between the database and toolpath once it's created. All it shows is that it was in the database at one point but it could be default info from previous toolpaths rather than something from the current database.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

There have been some changes to how things are set up with V11, when you installed it did you set up a machine to use & add the post processors for that machine?
There are also some additional material types added & I found that I had to look through all the material types to find where my tool settings had gone, they may still be there even though you can't see them because they are linked to a different material type :lol: :lol:

Scottbg1

Re: Tool Database and Post Processing info not saving *SOLVED*

Post by Scottbg1 »

UPDATE:

I think that I have it fixed. Forgive the long explanation, but I hope this helps someone else who might have the problem or maybe Vectric Tech support may see it.

I could recreate the problem almost every time that I closed and then re-opened Vcarve.
I noticed that in my Machine Configuration there were two machines.
The first machine was the one that was migrated over from v10.5 and the second was the machine that Vcarve asked me to setup using the wizard when I installed v11, and that new machine was the one shown as the default.

When I reopened Vcarve, the configuration would be set to the new DEFAULT machine that I created during the install, but the Tool Database information was missing, so I would redownload the info from the cloud and all was well.
But then I noticed that when I redownloaded the TD info, it would ask which version I wanted to download, the old v10.5 or the new v11. I would of course choose the v11.
After doing so the new default machine would completely disappear from the configuration manager and the only machine available now was the one migrated over from v10.5 despite me choosing the v11 download. Hmmm....

So I would close Vcarve and reopen to see that it was all starting over again with the DEFAULT configuration enabled and the tool info missing.
So instead of redownloading the TD info, I just switched the configuration to the older entry and the TD info would re-appear.
I tried making the older entry the default machine configuration, but that would not save for some reason.
I would reopen Vcarve only to find the newer MC as default and the TD info missing.

So I backed up my Tool Database, and then deleted BOTH the Machine Configurations.
I then created a new MC using the wizard, and imported my Tool Database, and then uploaded to the cloud to revise it on the server.

Now 24 hours later, all is well and all settings are sticking.
I guess if I had (1) not migrated the older info and just created a new machine configuration, or (2) migrated the older info and NOT created a new machine configuration I would have never noticed the problem.
I am thinking the migration was were the bug was occurring and not with the Tool Database.

Nevertheless, I am back in business.

Thank you to all who responded. I truly appreciate the help.
I will mark this as SOLVED in the title.