Snap function

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Nitehawkhp2
Model of CNC Machine: Openbuilds Leads 1010

Snap function

Post by Nitehawkhp2 »

Hello everyone,

I'm just now learning this software and I have not been able to find information on the details of the software. I have two CAD programs that offer much better placement controls than what I have found in this software.

I'm currently trying to place Tabs and would like them to snap to the intersection of two lines. Is this a feature that is available? How does it work?

Regards,

Nighthawk (aka Rod) lost in the shuffle of software. :roll:

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Re: Snap function

Post by ohiolyons »

there are 3 buttons at the top that toggle snapping on and off

there is a menu option that allows you to turn option on and off permanently
IMG_8323.jpg
IMG_8324.jpg
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

Nitehawkhp2

Post by Nitehawkhp2 »

Thank you for your help!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Nitehawkhp2 wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:49 pm
I'm just now learning this software and I have not been able to find information on the details of the software
Check the interactive Help on the Help menu and the tutorial video browser. You shouldn't have problems finding information about the software using those resources.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Screenshots help :lol: :lol:
What tabs are you trying to place? 3D tabs while designing a project or on the toolpathing side tabs for holding a part in place :lol: :lol:

AboveCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: i2r B22

Post by AboveCreations »

To clarify a bit more of what Martin is saying, there is a feature in the profile toolpath to establish 3D tabs that is very useful for holding your piece when cutting out the project, if that is what you are trying to achieve. Otherwise, could upload your vcarve file so we can see what you are trying to do? If that isn't possible, more details may help or some pictures.

When you start up Vcarve program, before opening any project file, there is a menu selection on the left column of the program. Towards the bottom there are so many resources to help in learning the software and its functions. From help files, to actual videos to walk you through things step by step. Keep in mind, they are software related only. Every machine could be different, so it's up to you to figure out your own machine capabilities, controls and settings.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Must be my bad wording again :oops: :oops:

I was actually referring to the 3D tabs in the clipart that you would use while designing a project :lol: :lol:
3d tabs.PNG

Nitehawkhp2

Post by Nitehawkhp2 »

I've made edited snapshot of my drawing. When setting tabs to secure objects being cut out, I use tabs. However, the snap function doesn't work the same as in my CAD program. How can I get the tabs to SNAP to the intersections of lines. See my attached file.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!
Attachments
VCarve ScreenShot.jpg
Plaque Base.crv
(271.5 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

I myself do not believe there is an efficient way at the present time but it could be something for Vectric to look into to include in an upcoming version.

The Snap Functions seem to be for the drawing window only from my experience with the software.

The only thing I have found that even comes close to what you want is very time consuming.

Using Vertical Guide Lines for intersection guides
Highlight the vectors for adding tabs
Select Profile Toolpath
Check Add Tabs to toolpath
Zoom into each intersection and add a tab indicator

Of course as I previously said this is very time consuming!!! :roll:

Maybe someone else may chime in with some brilliant method they have been accustomed to!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.005

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

As Sharcutup says your vertical "guide" lines are actually vectors rather than guides. If you use guides instead then the tab will automatically snap to the horizontal vector and you click where the guide intersects. It won't snap to that intersection but you can manually place it accurately enough that that shouldn't matter.

With this particular design it's just repeating the same thing over again so you could toolpath one vector with the tabs and then copy/paste the others from that (or use the array copy tool). The tab information is stored as part of the vector so when you come to toolpath those "new" vectors the tabs will already be present in the same locations.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

As others have said it's a slow process when adding tabs tor that sort of job, as Adrian has mentioned with your job all being the same sort of thing especially the final profile cut out then you can just toolpath one of them. I now use the toolpath copy array tool for this sort of thing, I use a gap between each part & set the gap to the diameter of the tool I am using for the profile cut out :lol: :lol: :lol: