Why is 'Join' dimmed

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Rubiconlwb
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL

Why is 'Join' dimmed

Post by Rubiconlwb »

Occasionally, I select my entire project and click the 'Join' icon in the menu but when it brings up the next screen, the 'Join' button is dimmed so I cannot join those vectors that are still open. Is there something that I can do to undim this button so I can proceed. If not, I am stuck with having a number of open vectors that I cannot repair.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Why is 'Join' dimmed

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Try Select Open Vectors instead of selecting all vectors in the project.

Otherwise please upload your file so we can see what is happening.

How do I upload files or photos to the forum?

If the file is too large to upload here you can use a file sharing site such as drive.google.com, onedrive.com, or dropbox.com. They all have free accounts available
  • Upload the file to the file sharing site
  • Make the link shareable
  • Share the link to the file here
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Randall has the best suggestion which is to upload your file so it can be “diagnosed” thoroughly.

I would like to mention that if your vector selection includes any vectors that are Grouped, then the Join command will be greyed out and unavailable for use. In that case, make sure none of your selected/open vectors are Grouped before using the Join command.

Also, if any Open Vectors are Grouped, the Select Open Vectors feature won’t be able to find the open vectors either.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Something else which has not been mentioned is the distance apart the vectors are if you are using the join vectors under the edit tab at top of the screen :lol: :lol:
If you have the tolerance set for example to 0.01 & there is a gap between the vectors of 0.02 then the join button will be greyed out , you would need to increase the tolerance or move the vectors closer together for the join button to work :lol: :lol:

Rubiconlwb
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Rubiconlwb »

Thanks for the helpful responses. I tried a couple things that were suggested but those did not work. So I have attached a copy of the .crv file for the cribbage board I designed.
Attachments
Standard.crv
This is a cribbage board design
(534 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The problem is the area circled on the attached picture. One end of the vector is on the right hand end of that horizontal and the other end is on the vector touching the left hand end.

You need to go in to node edit and cut the node on the left so the horizontal becomes an open vector on it's own like the others and then you should be able to join the outer shape.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-11-11 171651.jpg

Rubiconlwb
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Rubiconlwb »

Adrian wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:19 pm
T
The problem is the area circled on the attached picture. One end of the vector is on the right hand end of that horizontal and the other end is on the vector touching the left hand end.

You need to go in to node edit and cut the node on the left so the horizontal becomes an open vector on it's own like the others and then you should be able to join the outer shape.
That absolutely worked. I deleted the left hand point then redrew it and I was then able to join the open vectors. How did you come to that conclusion? I zoomed in to the max and didn't see any open vectors in that area at all. I love the software and use it all the time to create designs that I then make on my CNC router but do not know all the intricacies of the software. Thanks for your help in this matter. Is there an article or a tutorial that I could check out that might help me in the future?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

When the vector was selected I noticed that the horizontal was selected as part of it unlike the others.

Another way of tracking it down would have been to use one of the other join tools (straight line, curve, common point) and then a vector would have been drawn between the two ends showing the issue as well.