Quick Engrave Issue

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
fred ruppert
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Quick Engrave Issue

Post by fred ruppert »

When I have been using Quick Engrave with a diamond tipped drag tool, I would set the depth to .25 in. and when the program ran, it would compress the spring loaded tool by .25 inches and run the program. On a new item, where I was trying to etch using the same setting, the program tried to go to 0.25 depth, which took 12 hours to run (rather than an hour or two) and did etch way deeper than I wanted.. What am I doing wrong, I looked at the settings on the original program and duplicated them on the new item and again it wants to run for 12-15 hours. I can still go back to the original program(s) and they will run successfully, but new item programs try to go to the .25 in depth which I don't want. Any suggestions?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Quick Engrave Issue

Post by Adrian »

Are you sure you're using the same toolpath type? Is the tool definition the same? Check the values using Edit in the toolpath rather than the database as the link between the toolpath and database only exists at the initial selection.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

How deep it will etch will depend on the material you are trying to etch, I generally run tests to determine how much pressure I need to etch a particular material, it will depend to some extent on the spring in your drag bit, I have a number of different strength springs for mine which allows me to increase or decrease the pressure the tip exerts under load.

fred ruppert

Post by fred ruppert »

I've got the pressure thing worked out, have made several pieces where I set the depth to 0.25 in, and the program will compress the spring by that 0.25 inches. What I don't have figured out is why my latest programming using the same values in the Quick Engraving Toolpath, same tool selected, has the machine trying to etch 0.25 deep instead of only running the pattern once.

I can fudge the fix by asking the Engraving Toolpath to go to 0.025 inches, then when I set my zero in the Z direction, I need to set the zero at -0.2 inches relative to the surface being engraved, but I kind of liked the previous method since I don't need to reset the zero position.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

fred ruppert wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:21 am
Quick Engraving Toolpath, same tool selected, has the machine trying to etch 0.25 deep instead of only running the pattern once.
That sounds like a clue.

Could you edit the toolpath and click on the "Edit..." button for the tool:

--
tool params.png
--

See if there is a "Cutting Parameters" section and if there is a "Pass Depth".

--
cutting params.png
--

If so can you take a screen shot of the edit tool dialog?

--
edit tool.png
--

If you are running a newish version of Windows 10 you can use the "Windows Snipping Tool" to do so.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Can you post the file or if it contains copyright material send it to Vectric support, I mentioned the pressure incase you were trying to etch a different type of material, I've etched quite a few different materials & they all require a different amount of pressure, :lol: :lol:

fred ruppert

Post by fred ruppert »

You were correct, when I examined the Tool details, there were differences between the one that "worked" and the one that did 'not work" the way I wanted. Corrected and running again. Thank you for your support