Moulding toolpath

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Moulding toolpath

Post by adze_cnc »

This still could be entered as an engraving bit (although any VCarve preview will look nothing like the actual cut). But to do so the sides would need to be extended so that you get the "actual" flat diameter (in this case 0.0545 inches) if the tool didn't have a rounded tip. See image.

--
Fake engraving bit from a 0.75mm radius tapered ball-end bit
Fake engraving bit from a 0.75mm radius tapered ball-end bit

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Moulding toolpath

Post by martin54 »

Shank diameter is often given first by sellers (I think) because traditionally when buying bits for a hand held router they would either be 1/4 or 1/2" collets. That is a guess but makes sense to me :lol: :lol: :lol:
For the toolpath preview to work properly the software needs to know the actual bit geometry, the shank diameter may or may not be important depending on the type of bit & the toolpath type being used.
That is the reason I asked if the toolpath preview & the actual cut matched but in your case they may well have done because the bit was actually entered incorrectly.
Now you know how the bit should be entered then you will get a different result from both the toolpath preview & the actual cut, you said the beads were far to small on the cut & if you re-run the toolpath with the correct settings then they should be larger, of course they may still be to small but it will give you a much better idea how much to small they are :lol: :lol: :lol: