Problem With Zoom Active View

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 12.004

Problem With Zoom Active View

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

Let's develop some feedback for Vectric on this confusing problem that I see with my Vcarve Desktop ver.11 (but I noticed in ver.10, also.)

Start a new empty file. I chose 5x7x0.7. It will zoom in to max screen when applied.

Now, draw an object or import an SVG or EPS file that comes in larger than the original 5x7.

Create a toolpath for this larger object. Doesn't matter whether its Profile, Vcarve or something else.

Calculate the toolpath.

Now, delete the vectors associated with that toolpath. Even delete the layer if on a separate layer. Even uncheck the visibility of the toolpath. Its all gone, right? Use Ctrl-A; delete to make sure there aren't any more vectors present.

Now click on the Zoom buttons and report what happens and please report on what you think should happen.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Problem With Zoom Active View

Post by Adrian »

As far as I can see the Zoom Active View zooms to the limits of the toolpath. Guess it's all down to whether you think the toolpath is part of the drawing or not.

Personally I think there would be less issues arising with it behaving the way it does now as it makes people aware that there are toolpaths that are cutting outside of where they think they might be.

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

Adrian wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:26 am
... it makes people aware that there are toolpaths that are cutting outside of where they think they might be.
I would have to ask, "Does it really do that?" There is no visible sign that that is what is happening. What if the toolpath in question was embedded in a group that wasn't expanded?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

It still behaves the same way regardless of grouping etc.

To me the behaviour is a good one even though it may not be semantically correct in relation to the tool description.

It will be interesting to see other points of view.

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

From Vectric Support in explaining this:

“Although I expected the same as you for the laser toolpath to be excluded when it's unchecked; to avoid users 'losing' their toolpaths when they are not visible it is still included in the drawing limits along with all other objects within the file.“

My reply to them was:

“I’ll be checking this forever now, but to me there should be some visible indication why this not-visible toolpath is being included in the zoom. I can’t “lose” the toolpath since any recalculation will set off all the alarms!

We don’t include not-visible toolpaths while saving, do we? I don’t think it would save anyway (or shouldn’t.)“