Microsoft Windows 11. Does the Vectric software run correctly on it?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Kando
Model of CNC Machine: WorkBee 1000x1000

Microsoft Windows 11. Does the Vectric software run correctly on it?

Post by Kando »

Can any one inform me before I upgrade if on Microsoft Windows 11. Does the Vectric software run correctly on it?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Microsoft Windows 11. Does the Vectric software run correctly on it?

Post by Adrian »

No reason why not. It's the same architecture as Windows 10. It's more a refresh than a new product.

There have been posts from a couple of people who have run it on preview versions without a problem. Biggest issue with Windows 11 is having the hardware to run it in the first place which is why I haven't done any testing when I normally would.

AboveCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: i2r B22

Post by AboveCreations »

Adrian wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:51 am
No reason why not. It's the same architecture as Windows 10. It's more a refresh than a new product.

There have been posts from a couple of people who have run it on preview versions without a problem. Biggest issue with Windows 11 is having the hardware to run it in the first place which is why I haven't done any testing when I normally would.
Hi Adrian. I think I read techradar or perhaps one of the other tech sites that claimed there will be some changes to Windows 11 which require certain CPU and eliminated some hardware. I really didn't follow the details too much because I honestly don't plan to move to Windows 11 since all of my Windows 10 and a few Windows 7 are working perfectly fine. But if it requires certain newer CPU and eliminates some hardware, I'd consider that more than a refresh personally. But you are correct in which Vcarve/Apsire shouldn't matter concerning Windows 11.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Try a search on the forum, as Adrian has said there was a post about it fairly recently where a couple of people doing Windows11 testing had run it without problem, what actually put me off was not so much the fact that it might not work with certain hardware but someone had said that you would need to use a Microsoft account to log in & run it. Don't know if that is true but if it is then it will not be for me :lol: :lol:

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Windows 11 requires TPM2 (trusted platform module) enabled in the UEFI setup on the motherboard. I suggest downloading and running the Windows 11 compatibility checker before purchasing or installing it. My motherboard just needed to have the settings enabled but some of the older motherboards may not be capable of running Windows 11. Here is a link to get the app. Scroll down towards the bottom of the page.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows ... ealthcheck
Steve

AboveCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: i2r B22

Post by AboveCreations »

SteveNelson46 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:18 pm
Windows 11 requires TPM2 (trusted platform module) enabled in the UEFI setup on the motherboard. I suggest downloading and running the Windows 11 compatibility checker before purchasing or installing it. My motherboard just needed to have the settings enabled but some of the older motherboards may not be capable of running Windows 11. Here is a link to get the app. Scroll down towards the bottom of the page.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows ... ealthcheck
Yes. that is what I read on some tech site. But I didn't read it thoroughly to care, because requiring a newer motherboard wasn't my ideal of upgrade or refresh on a Windows version that really doesn't do much more than Windows 10, or even Windows 7. I honestly think that with Windows 10 allowing apps instead of full blown programs was a deal changer. plus the fact that startup and shutdowns are so fast and smooth.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I think most motherboards that were made in the last 5 or 6 years should be okay but the settings in the UEFI just need to be enabled. I have a new 2 tb SSD formatted and ready to go as soon as Windows 11 is released. I'll set it up as a new install with dual boot so if there are problems, and there almost always is with new releases, then I can just boot back into Windows 10. That way I can work on bugs and other compatibility issues and still be functional. I thought about cloning my current Windows to the new SSD and just installing Windows 11 on a virtual machine but by setting up a dual boot I can work out all of the problems and then reformat my old SSD and use it for extra storage or backup.
Steve

Kando

Post by Kando »

Hi, guys. I see that the main concern is whether your motherboards (MB) are up to it. I have just run my windows health check and it came up with two changes to make 1. the TPM problem and 2. a security change on the boot disk both of which I have solved. The MB TPM changes are in the BIOS not on the MB so that is when you start up and have to press f10 or Del or some other key to get into the BIOS. They are all different so be careful what you change. The second was the security of the boot disk and that is because the disk is set to MBR and not GUID.

This is done with a program within windows since version7. mbr2gpt.exe it is run from a command window in administrator mode. If you look up this command on the internet there is plenty of help.
I used mbr2gpt.exe /validate /allowFullOS to get info on my drive first. Look it up. I then backed up my drive and then used the command mbr2gpt.exe /convert /allowFullOS /disk:4 to convert my MBR disk to a GUID disk and the health check then said it was fine.
(allowFullOS is needed if you are in windows10 at the time you are doing this).

To find out your drive numbers and whether your disk is MBR or GUID type disk management into the search box of windows10 and click on Create and format hard disk partitions. Look for your C drive and get the number of the drive. If you right click on the drive, check the properties from the drop menu then volumes tab from the next window; look for partitions style and it will say which type you have MBR or GUID.

You can check from windows10 if the BIOS is running UEFI and this should be set in the BIOS. You can see what it is set to by typing Run then press enter from the search box bottom left in windows10 then typing msinfo32 in the little window that comes up. Look for Bios Mode.

Hope this helps some.

Having said all this does anyone from vectra software know that it works perfectly in windows11 before I upgrade?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

It's not so much the motherboard rather than the processor architecture for me My i7-6700 processor isn't supported by Windows 11. My motherboard can support supported CPU's.

This is the first new version of Windows I haven't run straight away since when Windows was first released. The new features (the few that there are) just don't justify the cost of upgrading a PC that performs every task I need faultlessly.

As for Vectric software there was one thread from someone who had problems but they resolved themselves - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=38612

I haven't seen anything from anyone else having issues. Not sure how many people are actually bothering to run Windows 11 though so it might be a small sample set. :)

jfederer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam D23M

Post by jfederer »

Adrian wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:28 pm
Not sure how many people are actually bothering to run Windows 11 though so it might be a small sample set. :)
I've been running W11 on this (Microsoft Surface Book 2), my main machine, for over a month. Both VCarve Pro and Aspire run without any issues. 2 other machines are still on W10 because they both have 4th generation Intel chips. With a few exceptions, W11 requires at least a 6th generation chip, along with the other parameters such as TPM already mentioned.
Joe Federer

www.fabrikisto.com incl. Tailmaker software
www.federer.ca

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

I see little need to run the bleeding edge of Windows 11, especially not when I'd have to upgrade my already quick desktop. No payoff, and I see nothing in 11 that I care about.

Kando

Post by Kando »

Have now been running it on windows11 without any problems. Well done Vectric for getting everything right.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I upgraded to Windows 11 a month or so ago. So far, there hasn't been any issues.
Steve